Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

alternative to perfect spacers in compressed air systems

Options
  • 01-10-2015 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭

hi all,

Someone else may have come across this problem before and may have a solution. As a safety initiative I have to remove some perfect spacers from a machine with a number of air cylinders.

Background: A jam was freed in the machine and the cylinder sprung forward upon release and gave someone a minor squeeze......The air supply to the machine was isolated as the jam was being freed, however the energy contained in the compressed air in the cylinder caused it to spring forward when released, the perfect spacer didn't hold it steady.

Anyone come across another device which can be substituted in its place, that will take away the stored compressed air energy somehow/ or hold the whole lot in place.

Thanks, Aidan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

aidanki wrote: »
    hi all,

Someone else may have come across this problem before and may have a solution. As a safety initiative I have to remove some perfect spacers from a machine with a number of air cylinders.

Background: A jam was freed in the machine and the cylinder sprung forward upon release and gave someone a minor squeeze......The air supply to the machine was isolated as the jam was being freed, however the energy contained in the compressed air in the cylinder caused it to spring forward when released, the perfect spacer didn't hold it steady.

Anyone come across another device which can be substituted in its place, that will take away the stored compressed air energy somehow/ or hold the whole lot in place.

Thanks, Aidan

I'm not sure what a perfect spacer is. I would change the valve configuration so the air is dumped from the cylinder when the safety circuit is breached. Or fit dump solenoids to each cylinder that's a problem. When the safety circuit looses power the dump solenoids drop the air.

Advertisement