Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Leaf trial - thoughts

Options
  • 01-10-2015 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭

Well two days into my 4 day leaf trial

Things I like

Car is well built handles the road well.
    Good turning circle
    Info display system
    Keyless system
    Reversing camera
    The quietness
    The high driving position
    Did I mention the quietness
    Free fast chargers !
    Bluetooth integration

Things I don't like

The stupid foot brake -Arrgh
    The steering wheel is too low even at full adjustment
    The radio is junk , jaysus is the antenna on the exhaust !!!
    The cheap " gear knob " come on nussan , if it's that prominent make it nice
    The headliner is very flexible
    15000km service when I thought it was 30000km !

Energy usage

I can't get over 15kwh/100 km. even with no AC lights and speed at 95 km , Regen on.

Biggest issue
    Congestion at the fast chargers. Im using three fast chargers on my route , in 6 times , there is another leaf charging , sometimes a sort one others longer. This makes producing journey times hard almost impossible which makes meting times hard to keep

Two more days. So we'll see what happens

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,545 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

BoatMad wrote: »
    The stupid foot brake -Arrgh
    Just a case of getting used to it. I was lucky because my old ICE had exactly the same arrangement.
    The radio is junk , jaysus is the antenna on the exhaust !!!
    ****e alright, sound sucks.
    The cheap " gear knob " come on nussan , if it's that prominent make it nice
    I like it!
    The headliner is very flexible
    Not really examined it but looks like mine has a crease, but is actually wiring under it (still shouldn't be seen).
    It is 30k (or 1 year).

Energy usage

I can't get over 15kwh/100 km. even with no AC lights and speed at 95 km , Regen on.
    I think I'm about 15 - 16, and I don't hang about!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭jprboy

As Padraig replied the service interval is 30k.

Some dealers appear to be chancing their arms and sticking the 15k interval reminder sticker on the Leaf.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

Handbrake: I think I have used it once in 6k. IMO, it's only needed when you park on steep incline.

It's a pain when you have to wait for the charger alright. Should be much better when you have a private charging point somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

jprboy wrote: »
    As Padraig replied the service interval is 30k.

Some dealers appear to be chancing their arms and sticking the 15k interval reminder sticker on the Leaf.

Yes that seems to be the case. This Nissan garage has 15k sticker on the car. Surely they can't be chancing that.

In effect I have a 100 km range car. Tricky requires lots of planning and time

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭robnet77

samih wrote: »
    Handbrake: I think I have used it once in 6k. IMO, it's only needed when you park on steep incline.

...how about roundabouts? :D

• Advertisement

Where some of these fast chargers are, they are going to be subject to vandalism

Junction 14 is already so

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭jprboy

Yes that seems to be the case. This Nissan garage has 15k sticker on the car. Surely they can't be chancing that.

Well, if owners aren't aware and haven't RTFM it's all well and good for the dealer's bottom line. The other thing is that people are used to 15K intervals in ICE cars so won't necessarily see anything wrong with it.
    In effect I have a 100 km range car. Tricky requires lots of planning and time

It all depends on the individual owner's usage and access to charging. For example, depending on the route I take my daily commute is 170-180 km. However, I have a home charge point and a SCP near me at work so it's not at all tricky for me. No planning and no waiting around.

Would I do it if I had to charge en route to and/or from work every day? Not a chance.

Plus our 2nd car is a diesel so as a family this is what we use if we can't get to our destination and back without recharging. "Are we there yet?" is bad enough without the added question of "Are we charged yet?", or even worse, "Don't tell me the charge point is down?" :eek::eek::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭ei9go

If you have to ask these questions maybe the Leaf is not for you.

I would love one and tested one but in the end couldn't bring myself to buy it.

I think that where you live in the country is the most important consideration.

have a look at this map http://egomap.eu/

Enter your location and look at the circle it produces at your location.

If you live in Carlow, Portlaoise, Kildare or thereabouts, the Leaf can work for you because you are within range of a lot of places.

However, Put your location in Waterford and suddenly you can't get to Cork or Dublin with out charging.

There is another thread on here that suggests you can barely get from Carlow to Waterford on the M9 due to the terrain.

So, it's really down to what you are going to use the car for and where you live. Ignore how wonderful it is to drive which I agree with wholeheartedly.

I think one should ask as many questions as possible

I like the concept of an all electric vehicle and I like the opportunity to lower my running costs very significantly , in excess of 2000 euros a year.

I dont like the total costs of ownership issues however with the Leaf, especially the forthcoming increased battery ( which beggars the questions of pricing in even higher capacities in the future)

I live in an area extremely well serviced by public charging , I have 6 fast and 12 ordinary chargers within 60km, my main issue is the time lost with an EV where one cannot complete the round trip journey on one car, thats a key issue

I think EVs will dominate all second car - car purchases within 10 years and will be a serious contender for 75% of ordinary car owners

If you're thinking of getting a new one and you find the range a bit tight then get the 30 kwh leaf, you'd appreciate a real 90-110 miles range even though it's more expensive it would be worth it if you really do need it.

There needs to be 2 fast chargers on one site at the busiest locations. When the ESb start billing for the electricity at these fast chargers then the people who use them only for the free electricity will charge at home so should free up a lot of the chargers.

I wouldn't worry too much about the stereo, it's not that difficult to install proper speakers and tweeters, a Proper ported amplified Sub would be more difficult but it would be worth it.

I'm not fond of the Bose system but it will do for now.

For now having work charging especially the current leaf is more than perfect for my 85 mile commute. If I had a 200 mile range Leaf it would be of little use to me on a 25,000 Km lease limit and we have the diesel for the really long trips, I have about 20,800 Kms now and tomorrow have to drive to Dublin and will take the diesel just to keep the miles off the Leaf.

If I didn't have such a commute I would probably have considered the I3. Having said that going over the mileage by about 5,000 Km per year would really only set me back €1,200 after the 3 years if they weren't going to write it off. So not a major panic but if I was going to have to cough over 2K then at that point I would probably consider a new lease on a new car rather than dump money in to the older one.

• Advertisement

Well I'm passing the 800km point on day 3 of the test. So far so good

Yes I would only get the 30kw battery but the price lift is steep

My fuel bill has been 4 euros so far. But my coffee , nibbles and burger bill has exploded ! EVs good for the environment bad for your weight !

What daily mileage are you doing ?

What Trim leaf were you thinking of getting ?

If I had to lease a Golf TDI it would be costing me a lot more than the Leaf, If I had to buy a 21K Basic Golf petrol then after 3 years it would have cost me more than the Leaf + with the Leaf I don't have a gearbox and I get pre heating, heated seats and steering, remote activation of heat and ac. Led Lights, half decent stereo. Sat Nav. Leather effect seats, like them or not they're not bad.

So a 21 K petrol Golf or TDI doesn't seem like good value to me at all or any other ICE car that costs similar to the leaf, even taking into account interest differences.

If the current EV range doesn't suit then it doesn't, all you got to wait is 3 years for the 150-200 mile range electrics.

The 640 miles Model S will be around by then too if you got the cash !

I'm just really happy to be driving Electric today, no way I'd go back to ICE.

I reckon 10 years a lot more electrics will be more than 2nd cars, 10 years and I doubt you'll be able to buy a diesel.

Well finishing up today.

Over 1000km done in 4 days

Result. : very positive , will look to buy 2016 version in new year

SV version with probably 6kw charger and of course 30 kW battery

Wife's workplace have to install at least an outdoor 13 amp plug. Not being very supportive. So that has to be sorted

ei9go wrote: »
    Open to correction but as far as I know, the 13 amp granny cable does not work with the 6.6kw charge.

The portable EVSE does indeed work with the 6.6 Kw charger, used it with mine for a week until I got the home charge point installed.

Well finishing up today.

Over 1000km done in 4 days

Result. : very positive , will look to buy 2016 version in new year

SV version with probably 6kw charger and of course 30 kW battery

Wife's workplace have to install at least an outdoor 13 amp plug. Not being very supportive. So that has to be sorted

Do you do the miles to justify the extra premium for the 30 Kwh battery ? remember there will be much more range for 2018 and more EV's to choose from so if you really don't need that range do you think it's worth paying for ? It certainly would be nice to have if you need it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭highdef

I'll correct you so. The granny cable does work with the 6.6kw charger

ei9go wrote: »
    Open to correction but as far as I know, the 13 amp granny cable does not work with the 6.6kw charge.

its actually limited to 10 amps, so its not that it doesnt work with the 6,6 it limits the power ( in reality I suspect it simply instructs the charger in the leaf to throttle back )

the 6.6 is useful to extract more from the EVSE or on street , i.e. high power AC charging

Do you do the miles to justify the extra premium for the 30 Kwh battery ? remember there will be much more range for 2018 and more EV's to choose from so if you really don't need that range do you think it's worth paying for ? It certainly would be nice to have if you need it though.

the tests have shown we can use the car for all our daily needs with the current battery. However that requires charging to be made available at my wives workplace ( a VEC school) the VEC seem very reluctant to facilitate anything EV ( which is surprising as schools generally profess green credentials )

Does anyone know of a secondary school facilitating EVs recharging

in the absence of such a facility, wed need the bigger battery.

But in general in an EV more range is better, and Im not sure about professing what might happen , in 2017 or 2018. sure the Leaf might have 300km range then , and cost 50K!!!

Id be very very reluctant to plan any sort of EV strategy on the basis of " forthcoming" battery technology

Leaf MK II will not cost anything near 50 K for 150 miles range at least because there will be a lot more competition, if the Tesla Model 3 will cost 35,000 dollars with 200-250 miles, even with import duties and VAT it should cost just under 40K for the basic. So Nissan will understand that if the Leaf II approaches Model 3 territory then it won't sell.

But yeah if you can go for the 30 Kwh then the more range the better.

highdef wrote: »
    I'll correct you so. The granny cable does work with the 6.6kw charger

its works with any onboard charger, The 6.6 charger as I understand it is just another 3.3 charger module added anyway

To avoid confusion, there is no difference in having the 3.3 or the 6.6 with the granny cable in use

• Advertisement

Leaf MK II will not cost anything near 50 K for 150 miles range at least because there will be a lot more competition, if the Tesla Model 3 will cost 35,000 dollars with 200-250 miles, even with import duties and VAT it should cost just under 40K for the basic. So Nissan will understand that if the Leaf II approaches Model 3 territory then it won't sell.

But yeah if you can go for the 30 Kwh then the more range the better.

I would love to agree with you , but we shall see what competition is what

Car company pricing is typically set at " what the market can bear" rather then cost of a model + profit margin

As long as EVs are not mainstream , they will be seen as a " early adopter" " fan-buy" purchase, hence pricing will remain high for the spec.

I mean you may never see Tesla officially in ireland , nor has tesla confirmed what the 2017 launch pricing " actually " will be , its just " aiming" at 35K dollars

when you see Nissan charging 3K euros for an extra 50km, which in reality is probably 30 km. you see the bones of the issue, car companies up sell " features" by unbundling. They'll always do that

to predict future EV pricing is going to be very hard , whats happens when the SEAI grant ends for example etc etc. EV sales nose dived in the US as gas prices fell etc

If the Grant and VRT reduction is eliminated then there won't be EV sales in Ireland at current price levels.

Once the 150-250 (mile) range electrics appear I think there will be a lot more sold and so the economics of scale will drive down the cost.

I do think Nissan are taking the Mick because the cost of batteries per Kwh has fallen from about 900 USD in 2010 to about 250-300 today so Nissan are clearly trying to recoup the lost money from 2011. Leaf is just about making Nissan money today. They could have shown an example and offered it at the same cost as the current 24 kwh and make the 24 Kwh cheaper. But I guess profit comes first.

The 30 Kwh Leaf is still going to be cheaper than the Basic I3 but have a good bit more range, different cars but I think the range is more convenient.

Advertisement