Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed: To NY (State) or not?

Options
  • 01-10-2015 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi all,

First time poster long term stalker.

Background: A trainee accountant based in a small practice in Limerick city started in March 2013. Duties mainly based looking after the firm's clients Vat3 returns, also bank recs and recently progressed into accounts preparation.

Education: My Achilles heel; completed the BBS with a third degree albeit with other severe disappointments during my final year. Attempted P1 CPA exams with one pass and close in the others. Firm does not pay for exams or tutorials so had to spread exams over six sittings.

My cousin in New York operates an accountancy firm offered me a position a year ago. Contemplating on taking it now. Although one my aunt in law told my mother that he treats the staff poorly at times but my uncle based there says he's fine so have to look more into that.

Personal factors: Mentally very tired of studying and poor quality of life (>18k). Based in Limerick for the bones of 8 years now although I'm from Killarney between work and college.

Options: should I take it now and come back a year later or so with a fresher mind to finish the qualification (switch to ACCA).
    Or
    Postpone another year with the view of trying getting another exam or two.

I suppose I'd like advise on whether it could help my career regarding having American experience maybe getting into a multinational maybe.

Sorry for the long post. In a bit of a conundrum.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭frankythefish

General issues to consider I would say are for instance:

Difference between tax laws etc in ire and US

Your qualification (eg CPA) and its recognition in USA for example

I do think getting professional exams out of the way is always an important step for an aspiring accountant

Advertisement