Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Job Prospects Music and Irish/French

Options
  • 30-09-2015 6:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi,

I'm thinking of doing a degree in Music and Irish or French and then doing a H-DIP/PME. I was wondering what the job prospects are like for full time work as a secondary school teacher with these subjects.

Any suggestions for what colleges to do the course in? Or if principals favour certain colleges over others when selecting applicants?

I have a strong background in music with experience in orchestras and choirs at high standards so extra curricular activities would also interest me!

Thank you

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

MissPiggy1 wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm thinking of doing a degree in Music and Irish or French and then doing a H-DIP/PME. I was wondering what the job prospects are like for full time work as a secondary school teacher with these subjects.

Any suggestions for what colleges to do the course in? Or if principals favour certain colleges over others when selecting applicants?

I have a strong background in music with experience in orchestras and choirs at high standards so extra curricular activities would also interest me!

Thank you

Make sure you have fully qualified in the other subject to music. It's very very difficult to get a music job as they are essentially 'jobs for life' and they only need one per school really. I have music and maths. I taught only maths for the first five years after my DIP and only got music when it was introduced to the school. Even a full timetable of music in our school is not 22hrs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

I'd stick with Irish and French to be honest in terms of job prospects.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,411 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Music will be mat leaves. Go for Irish and french

Advertisement