Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I want to disable phone but still use data ?

Options
  • 29-09-2015 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭

Might be a very dumb question but:

I used to be able to put the phone in flight mode, and then turn on data.
    - I can't seem to do this anymore?

Galaxy S5 on Jelly bean.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

whizbang wrote: »

Galaxy S5 on Jelly bean.

Turning on flight mode means it is rendered useless for data (so it can be used on flights without interfering with electronic equipment) as it disables all wireless communications on the device.

But to answer your question, if you are wanting to turn a phone into a tablet, just either pop out the sim, or divert all calls to voicemail with wifi enabled (so you can still use data)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Galaxy S5 on Jelly bean.

What happens when you turn on wifi after you swith to 'airplane mode'?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭whizbang

No Wifi, means I need mobile data so can't pop out the sim...

I don't use voicemail either. - just another thought, if i divert to a non-existent number what happens ?

I want all callers to get a not available , be even better if they got a busy signal.!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

No Wifi, means I need mobile data so can't pop out the sim...

I don't use voicemail either. - just another thought, if i divert to a non-existent number what happens ?

I want all callers to get a not available , be even better if they got a busy signal.!!

if you divert calls to an invalid number, the call terminates on the sender side.

they will probably get that '3-note-tone' thingy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 736 ✭✭✭chillin117

Just get a new sim and give nobody the number. Just use the data.

• Advertisement

What happens when you turn on wifi after you swith to 'airplane mode'?
    - this works great when there's wifi available.

The phone wont let me turn on data when flight mode is enabled. It used to work!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭biebiebie

Maybe if you explain the "why" behind wanting to do this , then someone can suggest a workable solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

- this works great when there's wifi available.

The phone wont let me turn on data when flight mode is enabled. It used to work!!!

I've a hard time believing it used to work. Flight mode disables the cellular radio which is needed to use mobile data. You can't have both

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Can you not get a sim based tablet?

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭djr

Could you not get a mobile broadband sim, like those used in usb modems, providing the sim is the right size? They have numbers associated with them, but not voice service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭djr

djr wrote: »
    Could you not get a mobile broadband sim, like those used in usb modems, providing the sim is the right size? They have numbers associated with them, but not voice service.
    forgot to mention, they are normally sold for tablets, but a sim is a sim.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭madfcuker

Just a thought if you only want to sim card for data, you could install an app that blocks calls and texts.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,724 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Could just turn phone to do not disturb / voicemail only....

Do you ever want to not answer your phone?? Ideally I would like the caller to get a not reachable. i.e. out of coverage, or phone turned off.

I Simply want to use my data on the phone while I don't want anyone to connect voice calls..

A previous version of Android allowed me to turn on data after enabling flight mode. Apparently it was 'discontinued ' in later versions.

Do not disturb gives a ring tone to the caller. - not acceptable.
    call reject gives a single ring, then hangup - not acceptable.
    Voicemail is not used.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,763 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Could set up call forwarding to voicemail and then not have it set up. Would be easy to enable/disable.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Alucan

If you get a sim card activate and it then just divert your own phone to that number when you don't want to receive calls this will give the caller the same message as if your own phone was turned off or out of service. Just get one from the same provider so the message they hear will be the same

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

Use call barring under the calls setting. You can block them all

Advertisement