Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Archaeological Assessment reports

Options
  • 29-09-2015 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi there, I am wondering if anyone recently has experience of having to get an Archaeological Assessment report done?
    Our planning application (Cork County) came back today with further information as regards getting this report done. Our proposed house would be approximately 200m from a ring fort and souterrains and the report would be assessing any potential impact on these.
    What I am wondering is are these assessments more a matter of ticking a box as such (as in does the planning office always request a report if the proposed dwelling is within a certain distance of any archaeological site for example) or is it quite serious (and then something to be worried about) if you have to get one of these done; would it nearly be easier to go looking elsewhere to build?
    Any advice for proceeding would be great thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 808 ✭✭✭Angry bird

Depends. Most of the time a few test trenches and a review of history will reveal pretty much nothing of archaeological merit. But if they find something and it's pretty extensive then preservation in situ may be the option which would mean no planning. But this is just speculation, hire an archaeologist and respond to the further information.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Get 3 quotes, and ask them eac your questions above

Where I've delt with this on the past, an archeologist visited the site at the beginning of the ground works/ during excavations , driveway /waste treatment digging
    They also would do a report based on locality etc

9/10 that's what's involved. I would make it very clear to the contractor that if there was something found or when works were planed, everything waits for the archeologist

• Registered Users Posts: 5 bexy_ie

Thanks for the replies; Archaeologist has been in touch and it is apparently a much bigger job than what we originally hoped it would be - there needs to be geophysical assessment done as well as the more traditional trench work by the archaeologist. Must now weigh up now whether the chances of it working towards the planning decision will be in our favour or whether to look for alternatives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

bexy_ie wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies; Archaeologist has been in touch and it is apparently a much bigger job than what we originally hoped it would be - there needs to be geophysical assessment done as well as the more traditional trench work by the archaeologist. Must now weigh up now whether the chances of it working towards the planning decision will be in our favour or whether to look for alternatives.

Here's an idea
    Get in contact with a university
    offer them the site to teach/train students in geophysics

the lecturer should have an archaeological licence, and can write up a report

• Registered Users Posts: 15 emmett99

bexy_ie wrote: »
    Hi, Just reading your post on your archaeological dig and geophysical survey.

can you tell me what the end result was and what was involved.

Also a budget cost would be helpful. I find myself in a similar suitation

• Advertisement
Advertisement