Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Metro question

Options
  • 29-09-2015 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭

Assuming that Dublin Metro is fully paid for and all the planning obstacles are satisfied, how long will it take to construct all 16.5km of the metro?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

That's a pretty difficult question tbh, I doubt anyone can really say.

Is there a time frame listed in the proposal?

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Bigfellalixnaw

Well, what I was meaning to say was how long would it take to tunnel the underground sections, which are expected to cover 8.5km there to there about.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Bigfellalixnaw

Judging by how fast they tunnelled the London cross rail (which was average 30 metres a day according to their website) that would mean that Dublin Metro tunnelling could finished in 280 days approximately for one machine to bore one tunnel. But then of course they are tunnelling through clayey soil over in London, God only knows what kind of rock lies under Dublin, so it would probably take longer to bore the Dublin Metro.
    Do feel free to correct me if I got some part of that wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

AFAIK Dublin is pretty much worst case scenario for tunnelling - frequently alternating patches of hard rock and mush. So comparing to London would probably be an underestimate (open to correction though).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

AFAIK Dublin is pretty much worst case scenario for tunnelling - frequently alternating patches of hard rock and mush. So comparing to London would probably be an underestimate (open to correction though).

It's quite different to see when travelling in London, particularity towards Canary Wharf, just how mushy & sandy it is... completely different environment to us
    jacksie66 wrote: »
    Knowing all the projects by various governments in Ireland I'd assume it'll be over budget and way behind schedule..

Not a uniquely Irish problem - people are people the world over:
    http://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2015-07-23/how-berlin-s-futuristic-airport-became-a-6-billion-embarrassment

Advertisement