Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not sure where to start...

Options
  • 29-09-2015 6:13pm
    Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks,

I'm in the process of filing all taxable income I've made from September (last year) to the present. I was unable to do it earlier due to issues (which will no doubt bite me in the bum) and all I have at the moment is a list of all (monthly) payments received by my employer. Also signed up to ROS (though haven't done anything beyond that) - and also "Pay Less Tax", which will generate the required Tax Forms once I figure out what I'm meant to do.

Eventually I will hire an accountant to handle things for me - but given the deadline is the end of the month (and the fact I'm completely ignorant of the system), it is probably best I handle this big batch personally for the sake of learning.

In short, I work a variable amount of hours per week and the total is paid into my bank per month from overseas. I'm not even sure what the type of tax it is that I'm required to pay -- self employed makes it out as if I own the business, which isn't the case - and I've not seen PAYE since I was working for companies who handled that side of things before handing a payslip directly into my hand without me having to do anything at all.

As the title says, I'm not sure where to start - so any basic tips to get my head above water would be pretty handy. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Gard1

Firstly dont get yourself too stressed out over the situation. As you only started "trading" in September 2014, your first tax return isnt due to revenue until October 2016. This isnt to say that you shouldnt get your affairs in order so you can budget your money to allow for a tax liability. Im based in Galway too and can give you a call to go over the appropriate way to treat your income and expenses etc no strings attached!!! send me a pm if your interested.

RopeDrink wrote: »
    Appreciated, though as above this isn't something I'll be handling myself in the future bar this time for the sake of experience (which will be easier if I have an additional year, wasn't aware of that - thanks!)
    The biggest issue is to see if you are self employed or an employee do you work solely for the one company?

RopeDrink wrote: »
    Yup, freelance community manager for a game developing company.

Well technically they should be registered for Paye with revenue and pay your taxes and give you a net salary. Are you managing all Irish developers or are they international also

Advertisement