Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Comms Upgrade?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

More gps maybe. Or activating some more of the functions on the handset.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

At that price tag our track record would suggest a new email system...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭BaronVon

Works out a €17k per guard. They might actually get a mobile phone each......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

infacteh wrote: »
    Works out a €17k per guard. They might actually get a mobile phone each......

The current handset can be used as a mobile. If I remember correctly, there is the capability to forward a call to a handset or vehicle set.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭BaronVon

I'd be thinking more smartphones/pda's like the psni have. Scan fingerprints on the roadside, scan driving licences, national rollout of C&C. Still seems like an awful lot of money.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

infacteh wrote: »
    I'd be thinking more smartphones/pda's like the psni have. Scan fingerprints on the roadside, scan driving licences, national rollout of C&C. Still seems like an awful lot of money.....

Data transmission with TETRA isn't terribly fast, the trend has been running a 3G side-channel for large items. This would require more mobile masts than Tetra does. Combined with the user devices and application development you could really see the money disappear. I'm sure there's plenty of Irish billionaire's with telecoms interests who would happily bid for such a contract...

Advertisement