Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange promotion issue

Options
  • 28-09-2015 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hello there was a re-organisation of senior roles within our department over 6 months ago. Our supervisor and line-manager moved teams, we received a new line manager but our team failed to receive a new supervisor as we're informed our new line manager would also undertake supervisor tasks in their role. I was never sure how that could operate as our new line manager was now taking on an additional supervisory workload on top of their busy role.

Since the re-organisation commenced i observed one of my colleagues undertaking tasks on our team that was done by our previous supervisor and what i thought could only be done by someone of a supervisory grade. My colleague has the longest service on the team, most experienced and who's role is the most related to the work i do on the team, i was under in the impression they we're getting burdened with taking some of the workload off our new line manager due to their experience. As a consequence my workload has increased with my colleague increasingly directed towards some supervisory tasks.

In a private discussion of the re-organisation issues with a trustworthy senior colleague from another team they informed me that my colleague was afterall promoted to supervisor grade and received an accompanying pay increase. I have no issues with my colleague who is a excellent experienced worker and as much i dislike the manner they went about the promotion i believe there is no legal obligation for an employer to hold open interviews for vacant positions. What i am obviously outraged about is the secrecy, my workload and responsibilities increasing as a result of this secretive arrangement. Our team has not been notified of any change in personnel regarding this role on our team. I have not yet said anything to any of my other colleagues on the team but i'd be surprised if they haven't observed what has been going on.

How do I handle this situation without digging a hole for myself with my unofficial supervisor and my new line manager?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,537 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

You put your head down and do your job. Essentially the only thing that any if your concern is the extra workload - if it's a problem go to the manager.
    You could politely ask the manager is this other person now the supervisor and should you direct your concerns to them.

It's not the best way to appoint someone but companies do strange things.

Advertisement