Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jeans too short.

Options
  • 28-09-2015 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,115 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I’ve got some jeans taken up by a seamstress and unfortunately despite marking the jeans whilst I was wearing them, the legs have been taken up too much. So much so that now the hem catches on the upper lip of backstrap or heel collar.

It looks awful and I can actually feel the hem resting on collar of the shoe whilst I walk.

I am aware that jeans that shrunk in the wash can be stretched out in order to restore some length to them. However, can this be done with jeans which have not shrunk and how much additional length can be gained? If not it looks like these jeans have been ruined. :(

Or is there another way to increase the length? There is not enough material in the turnup to recover sufficient length.

Thanks.

It's too late to return them to the shop

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭mynameis905

Bring the receipt for the jeans to the seamstress and (politely) demand that she cover the cost of a replacement. Why should you be left on the hook for her mistake?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Turn down the turnups and wear as "frayed-edge" jeans with no hem at the ankle?

Wear them looser, and lower on the hip? These can be your Electric Picnic jeans!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

I once had a friend who constantly had the back hem of his jeans caught in his trainers, so much so that we called that effect a "scottrowe". This was over 25 years ago but I still call them "scottrowes" when that happens. So I'd like to introduce that phrase to a wider world. Please use it at your leisure.

As for your issue, totally take them back to the tailor and see what she can do, that's your first port of call. If too much material has been removed, it might be hard to fit, but there's always a way. If she refuses to do it, bring them somewhere else - Danny Geoghegan on Wicklow Street is a magician when it comes to fixing things like this - I split a pair of trousers once (ahem) and got them back and they looked like nothing had ever happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,115 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

That would look better on a female ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

What do you wear that has backstraps? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭folamh

IDK, dude. Look up "flood pants".

Advertisement