Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting Stock on Shelves

Options
  • 28-09-2015 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hello Everyone,

I have a product that I would like to stock ina few stores across Dublin (for now) but I am unsure of how to get this done. The sort of shops include newsagents, petrol, stations, florists, etc. I do not want the shops to buy them from me, but rather they get to keep a percentage of the profit for each item sold.

Do you know if this is the right way of approaching them? I was also told that I should give them the first batch, ie: they keep 100% of the profit.

Are there any better/different ways in approaching this?

Thanks - hopefully someone has some advice for me. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

For independents best thing to do is just to go in and try have a chat with the owner. The groups are a bit tricker you can try getting in touch with buyers if you set up with indes first and it goes well then its a bit easier to get then to pay attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭power101

I tried this with a supplier before and it was terrible. It involves so much extra work to send sales etc to the supplier and then what happens if stock is stolen etc?! I don't think a lot of shops would be interested in this format. Retailers are dealing with enough different suppliers without having to think about a completely different sales format like this especially when it's just a single product and not a range.

Why don't you just sell it to them or sell it on a sale or return basis if they are sceptical about buying the product? Make it easy for retailers to say yes and not no!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 rymass

Thanks Jimmi and power101. I will take your advise and just go and talk to the owner. I also like your point of selling it on a sale and return basis - makes much more sense.

rymass wrote: »
    Thanks Jimmi and power101. I will take your advise and just go and talk to the owner. I also like your point of selling it on a sale and return basis - makes much more sense.

To start with you will have to offer sale or return most likely. We get so many companies approaching us to get stocked but we have a full shop as it is if someone offers sale or return we might take a punt on it that time see how it goes. Its pretty dam competitive so you really have to do what you can to just get it on shop floors then hopefully let the sales do the talking!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 rymass

jimmii wrote: »
    To start with you will have to offer sale or return most likely. We get so many companies approaching us to get stocked but we have a full shop as it is if someone offers sale or return we might take a punt on it that time see how it goes. Its pretty dam competitive so you really have to do what you can to just get it on shop floors then hopefully let the sales do the talking!

Thanks Jimmi!!! If all goes well I should be able to get them on the shelves within the next couple of months :)

• Advertisement

rymass wrote: »
    Thanks Jimmi!!! If all goes well I should be able to get them on the shelves within the next couple of months :)

Good luck let us know how you get on!

Advertisement