Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Backsaw advice

Options
  • 28-09-2015 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for a bit of advice regarding replacing my current dovetail saw with something better. I currently own a Bahco which is too light and doesn't give me the accuracy I'm after. I'd love a Bad Axe, Lie Nielsen or Rob Cosman but they're well outside my current budget. I've been looking at the Spear and Jackson brass backed premium saws, specifically the 12 inch tenon.

Firstly, are they any good? I've seen some mixed reviews and I suspect that some of it may be down to knock offs being sold to unsuspecting victims.

Secondly, will a tenon saw double as a dovetail saw? If not, should I get the dovetail saw first then add the tenon later?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

Hi I'm not sure if this will be advice or not but its my experience anyway.

When I was doing dovetails by hand or doing them in a worktop corner I'll always buy a Stanley Erwin tenon saw. They are razor sharp and a decent high tpi aswell to leave the cuts fine enough.

For the really fine work I'd always have a Japanese dovetail saw which are a back/pull saw. Very fine and flexible blade but you new to mind them like babies and you can also change the blades on them aswell.

As far as the Jackson saw goes there a great saw but I myself personal could get the swing of one. I just found it hard to control for some reason. Could still do good work with it but the Stanley was definitly working better for me. But a lad I know swears by them.
    Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭rich.d.berry

I'd never even considered a Stanley. I've seen their Fat Max tenon saws but they've looked brutal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

Ah Jasus no there for some carpenter now with his star hanging out of his trousers thinking he's doing great work.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭peter bermingham

Save up for the Lie Nielsen have a good bit of their stuff Have the dovetail saw and a crosscut saw theirs nothing like them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

I'd never even considered a Stanley. I've seen their Fat Max tenon saws but they've looked brutal.

The Stanley Fat Max tenon saws are brutal, I had a brand new one and threw it away in disgust at how bad it was I even sent a complaint email to Stanley. I don't do fine enough work to really need one but found one by Irwin to be a really good cheap one (hard point, thin and fine cutting, but like the bacho its also very light) and have a Footprint 12inch 12-13tpi brass backed tenon saw for best. The Footprint handles nicely but is probably capable of work beyond my skill level so can't really say if its really good.

btw with reviews you also find that some reviewers have bought expensive tools expecting the tools to somehow miraculously improve their skills.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 flush1

my3cents wrote: »
    The Stanley Fat Max tenon saws are brutal, I had a brand new one and threw it away in disgust at how bad it was I even sent a complaint email to Stanley. I don't do fine enough work to really need one but found one by Irwin to be a really good cheap one (hard point, thin and fine cutting, but like the bacho its also very light) and have a Footprint 12inch 12-13tpi brass backed tenon saw for best. The Footprint handles nicely but is probably capable of work beyond my skill level so can't really say if its really good.

btw with reviews you also find that some reviewers have bought expensive tools expecting the tools to somehow miraculously improve their skills.

Agreed the stanley fat max are not nice tenon saw,i bought one a few years ago and only used it a few times.
    irwin\jack make a very nice tenon saw in both 10" and 12" model 3055 ultrafine with a blue and yellow handle.they are not expensive and move well through hardwood or softwood.They may not be a lifetime job but for the money they are well worth it.

Thanks all. I went for the 12 inch 12tpi Irwin. Not available in my local hardware, builder's merchant or Woodies/B&Q. Ordered one off the interweb. Will keep you posted with my impression when it arrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭..Brian..

Get a Veritas carcass saw. 10", about 15ppi and available in rip or crosscut pattern.

I have a cross cut one and it does great rip cuts for dovetails and tennons. I'll get their dovetail say as well but didn't have the money for both.

You can get if from Fine Tools. Com for about €60 so it won't break the bank like a Lie Neilson!

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭woodturner

The Carpentry Store in Naas carry the Veritas and Lie Nielsen range.

Yeah, I love that shop, but my budget didn't stretch that far. I'm looking forward to attending their demonstrations next month though.

My saw, ordered online, has fallen victim to the postal strike. I had hoped to have received it already.

• Advertisement
Advertisement