Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

insurance companies for '98 Cooper

Options
  • 28-09-2015 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hey folks,

Looking for advice on where to get a policy for a 98 Mini Cooper? Seems a lot won't do cars 15+ They also need to take name driver experience, cheers!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

Try AA

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,446 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I've my minis with First Ireland!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Sharon

rubdub wrote: »
    Hey folks,

Looking for advice on where to get a policy for a 98 Mini Cooper? Seems a lot won't do cars 15+ They also need to take name driver experience, cheers!

Hi rubdub,

I'm Sharon from the Bank of Ireland Talk to forum.

Just noticed your post. We believe age is just a number :) and are happy to quote for cars over 15 years of age.

Hope this helps!

Sharon

Hi Sharon,
    Just checked online. It doesnt give an option to insure a mini prior to 2006...?

• Registered Users Posts: 64,967 ✭✭✭✭unkel

In fairness, on line quotes with most insurers are only for the most mainstream of cars. Anything off the beaten track and you will need to call to get a quote.

@rubdub - have you (or your partner) got another car insured? If so, chances are you can get the Mini on a classic car policy (usually a lot cheaper than a normal policy, aim for around €150-€300 per year)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

antodeco wrote: »
    Hi Sharon,
    Just checked online. It doesnt give an option to insure a mini prior to 2006...?

Rover not Mini might work. Mini the new brand didn't have cars in 1998 to begin with nor did rover build them in 2006

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

my 97 4.4L bmw 840 is insured with aig through first ireland for 400 a year, but limited to 6k a year, how many miles a year do you drive?

L1011 wrote: »
    Rover not Mini might work. Mini the new brand didn't have cars in 1998 to begin with nor did rover build them in 2006

Not mini under Austin or Rover!

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭johnty56

Skatedude wrote: »
    my 97 4.4L bmw 840 is insured with aig through first ireland for 400 a year, but limited to 6k a year, how many miles a year do you drive?

Out of curiosity.. do you have a 'modern' car insured also, or is that a stand alone policy?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

johnty56 wrote: »
    Out of curiosity.. do you have a 'modern' car insured also, or is that a stand alone policy?

nope, it's my daily and only car so it's a stand alone policy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Hi rubdub,

I'm Sharon from the Bank of Ireland Talk to forum.

Just noticed your post. We believe age is just a number :) and are happy to quote for cars over 15 years of age.

Hope this helps!

Sharon

Do you quote for cars as old as mine?

I naively rang Autoline of NI after seeing their ad in the IVVCC magazine, more than once. Each time I was promised a call back. None came. Car is a 1971 Wolseley 16/60. I want another price, but I suspect I'll be keeping with Carole Nash. I don't want to hijack the thread, but don't want the bother of a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

We have a '98 Mini in the garage that would be great to have back on the road but already have a main policy - any idea if any classic insurance companies will entertain this?

Most will. Have a look at the classic insurance link in the sticky:

linky

unkel wrote: »
    Most will. Have a look at the classic insurance link in the sticky:

linky

Is 1998 really old enough to be classic? I thought 30 years?

Depends. There's no short answer here, but please read the linky.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Excellent thanks, I'll ring around and see if it can be done at reasonable cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

Is 1998 really old enough to be classic? I thought 30 years?

You might be thinking from a tax perspective....Vintage tax is over 30 years.

For Insurance anything over 15 might be classed as 'classic' by an insurance company. BUT this does vary by company.

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Tickets on sale now!)

Advertisement