Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada wedding

Options
  • 28-09-2015 9:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭

Are weddings in Canada similar to ireland, do the guests get first drink free or what is the etiquette on the drinks front?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭horse7

Anyone been to a wedding in Canada?

Anyone been to Canada?

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

OP there's a Canada forum on Boards http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1559 if you like I can move your thread there. TBH, I'd say there'd be few enough people on the Wedding forum that would have been to a wedding in Canada.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

From what I understand (which isn't much), open bars are common at North American weddings because they don't take the piss with it the way an Irish crowd might. But there's not really a 'standard' format for weddings the way there is in Ireland. Some won't even have alcohol, or it will be a strictly buy-your-own-at-the-bar set up, including during the meal. So there's no simple answer to your question because it depends on the specific wedding you're attending.

Thanks guys,at least I have a starting point.

• Advertisement

Toots wrote: »
    OP there's a Canada forum on Boards http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1559 if you like I can move your thread there. TBH, I'd say there'd be few enough people on the Wedding forum that would have been to a wedding in Canada.

Please do.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Thread moved per OP request, posters please note that the Charter for the Canada forum now applies.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Joe Schmo

Hi OP,

I have been at a handful of weddings in western Canada (AB and BC) so I can give some perspective: weddings in Canada are pretty similar to Irish ones in the order of church-photos-dinner-dancing. If your bride & groom are younger then there may be non-traditional settings like on a beach/public park/big tent as the weather can be quite predictable compared to Ireland.

As mentioned above there may be a free bar (until a certain time) or possibly a loonie/toonie bar where each drink is $1/$2.

If you get the invite and it's not clear the order of things or if there is open bar or full meal, it would not be considered rude to enquire with the wedding planners.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,068 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

If its in ontario, be prepared to be invited to the stag and doe a few weeks beforehand, were the couple basically beg for money to pay for the wedding through raffles, cheap booze, donations and crap like that.

The wedding itself was much the same as ireland, was a free bar for a while that was more and asian thing (bride was asian)

Advertisement