Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Return-to-work medical appointment

Options
  • 27-09-2015 9:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I'm due to return to work shortly after several months out of work for medical reasons. It's mental health related.

My employer is aware of this, of the fact that I've been mentally unwell. I'm just wondering, what will they be told by the doctor? Will they be given a full detailed report, or just a simple sign off that I'm OK to return to work?

Also what should I expect from the appointment ... just a chat, or bloods/physical exam/etc?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Normally just a chat with a possible referral. Generally they'll want you to set the parameters of the return to cover themselves. Do bear in mind that it is possible to terminate your employment if you are unfit for work. I only say this to give you all possible outcomes.

Be frank with the Doctor and if you wish something to be kept off the record say so. He/She will tell you if they can or can't oblige.

If in doubt speak to a solicitor with an employment law related practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭micosoft

A company doctor will only report to the firm if he/she is of the opinion that you are fit to work. They might in certain situations specify that conditions apply e.g. not lifting heavy weight. They do not hand over a report or provide a diagnosis of the ailment to the firm nor would any firm want that type of material. The purpose of the meeting is actually to protect the firm in as far as an employee might return to work when they are not fit to do so placing themselves and colleagues in potential jeopardy. IF your own doctor is happy and you are being treated you should be fine. Best of luck.

Advertisement