Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working on holidays?

Options
  • 24-09-2015 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi

I work in a company that closes over Xmas, the days are taken from our holidays. However, my job was still required so while the days were taken from my holidays, and I couldn't go into work as the workplace was closed, I had to work from home with a laptop.

I wasn't thanked or given any recognition for doing this, so I'm a bit reluctant to do it again this year, especially since I don't get paid or even appreciated for doing this!
    Can I actually refuse to do this?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,279 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

If you are on holidays you should inform your manager that you are not available for work; if they want you to work then tell them to cancel the holidays they have booked for you accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭bonyn

If you're working from home, make sure payroll don't deduct the hours you've worked from your holidays. Either than or keep a log of hours worked and take time in lieu. Or ask to be paid (technically illegal to be paid in lieu of statutory AL). If your manager won't agree to any of that, hand him the laptop and tell him where to stick it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

More fool you. Either get the days back or refuse to work it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Have you pointed this out ? most likely an over sight by the company and you will get those days back as holidays

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Have you pointed this out ? most likely an over sight by the company and you will get those days back as holidays

Yes, repeatedly, it wasn't an oversight, it was just 'Your job has to be covered over Xmas' when I pointed out if that was the case, it shouldn't come out of my holidays, I was told 'Everyone has to take the holidays, the company is closed' :confused:

I did it last year, but didn't pick up work that came in Stephens' Day until the next day, so I was 'spoken to' by the MD and told it shouldn't happen again and we ( meaning 'I') need to be more careful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,839 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Ring Workplace Relations then, and complain to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭Call me Al

No no no, if your job needs to be covered then you should be paid accordingly.
    Your md complained that you missed work on 26/12? Then you need to be paid to open the laptop.
    If I was well taken care of when it comes to bonuses, to reflect this extra effort, then I might pull my neck in, but otherwise I would expect to be paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Unless this is a 15-30 min log in each day this seems very unfair.
    I would outline that if you are required to cover you want a day in lieu for covering otherwise you will not be available as you are planning some activities with your family.

If this is a 15-30 min activity i would suck it up and just knock off early a couple of Fridays to compensate.

Advertisement