Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vitamin D Drops

Options
  • 24-09-2015 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭

Anyone find that their baby vomited shortly after giving them the Vitamin D drops ? Reluctant to give it as I forgot it yesterday and baby was fine. Might be a coincidence.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

First baby was fine with them. Second baby spit up after everything anyway as she had reflux, so yes, after the drops too. Didn't think it was the drops though. 'Twas the baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭iainBB

We use them every day without any issue what so every.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Dublinhurler

We have taken a break from vit D drops as we had the same problem vomiting or screaming. We are currently giving him the wellbaby vitimans and have no issues at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭fall

Made my baby vomit too. Friend is a paediatric nurse and said they are constantly seeing kids in a and e over this. She said not to give them. Get them outside everyday and exposed to normal sunlight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

How are you giving them, in a bottle or through the dropper?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭je551e

How are you giving them, in a bottle or through the dropper?

Through the dropper. I have stopped giving them to him for now. Not sure what to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

je551e wrote: »
    Through the dropper. I have stopped giving them to him for now. Not sure what to do.

I would say try giving them in a bottle, if he takes bottles.

Our baby vomited straight after every feed, whether there were drops in it or not (he had reflux.) So I used to put in maybe a drop extra in the hope that at least some of it might stay down.

As far as I remember there were two different types of drops - one was the pure Vit D on it's own, that you only had to give one dropper of a day, the other is mixed with something else and you had to give something like five shots of it in a go. So if you're using that one, definitely try switching to the one shot type (it's the one with the giraffe on the box I think!)

If you're currently giving the drops before the feed, you could try giving them after instead (might go down easier than on an empty stomach.)

Also if you're giving them in the morning, try them at a different time of the day.

If you try those things for a few days and still no joy, maybe take a break altogether for a week and try again.

At the end of the day though if nothing works, I wouldn't worry too much about it. 'Twas far from Vitamin D drops any of us were reared! :D

Advertisement