Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rebated Double Doors Help

Options
  • 24-09-2015 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Ordered some interior double doors and asked for them to be rebated.

The lad came to fit them yesterday and said the opening was 60 inches and as they'd given him two 30 inch doors they couldn't be rebated. He said the shop would need to order bigger doors (he was only doing contract work for them).

The shop called just now and said the 32" doors couldn't be rebated because they'd have to take too much off them and it would affect the structural integrity of the door. He said the best he could do was a T-bar to give a rebated effect. (Re: the structure - I tried to post a link but don't have permission - they have 3 horizontal bars and 4 panes of glass. Google "Deanta Doors HP1G")

A mate who knows a bit about this stuff said not to go with that and that, while they were right that 32" ones were too big to rebate on site, the shop should be able to order them rebated.

Anybody know if this is right?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

For exterior doors the best practice IMO would be to use a matching wood astragal.
    I would use the same for interior app.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 BadAmbassador

For exterior doors the best practice IMO would be to use a matching wood astragal.
    I would use the same for interior app.

Thanks for the reply? Why would you go with an astragal?

A number of people have told me rebated is better and that is what we currently have (so inclined to "go with what you know" on this one. The shop said they could fit a T-section to give a rebated effect (is this what your talking about) but the same people who recommended going rebated said the T-section would warp/fall off/be otherwise inferior?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

1. Your door IMO is a special order. It should to be made up as two 31" +- doors and rebated to avoid structural problems. The shop needs to know in advance the required specs

2. I would suggest using astragals for a more robust application. Wood astragals properly applied with countersunk wood screws through the side and into the edge of the door will last a lifetime.

fs_B935-OAK-134-astragal.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

Get two doors made up to fit. If you want a price pm me.

Or go with the advice double barrel is giving.

Or buy one 32 inch door take the required amount evenly off both sides and put on a rebate then.

Pending on the structure of the door I'd be fairly confident in saying cutting it down won't cause you any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Get two doors made up to fit. If you want a price pm me.

Or go with the advice double barrel is giving.

Or buy one 32 inch door take the required amount evenly off both sides and put on a rebate then.

Pending on the structure of the door I'd be fairly confident in saying cutting it down won't cause you any problems.

Knocking off 1.5 " off each door rail will make them look very skinny.
    It seems the shop is supplying stock doors and hasn't a clue about how to modify them.
    There should be no problem making custom fit doors with a rebate of say 3/4 "
    Above all, the wood should be down to 10% moisture to avoid warping after fitting and it helps to choose a stable wood like walnut.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

Op I googled the door above. Is it a veneered door.

If so cutting it down might not work at all.

Recipio.

Moisture doesn't come into even they they weren't at the desired content the op has no control over it. Especially if they are a veneered door.
    Also you would be taking 1.5 of each rail your only taking 3/4 of each style of the door. But I'd be surprised if there was enough solid lipping on them to do so and then cut a rebate.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

I Agree with Recipio here , on the moisture content requirement.

As these are interior double doors, the op has some level of control over the environment surrounding
    the doors. Low level of mc in the material at the outset, and properly sealed and finished. Is a better
    option than a material with high mc.

Of course if they were exterior doors, your control is far less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭saltandpepper10

If making a new door ope for two 30 inch doors I would make the ope 59 and 7eights and wedge each side of the frame in,your ope is only one eight of an inch bigger so be should be very doable,of course the rebate is included in this measurement which must be half an inch to suit any available rebate lock,hope this helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

If making a new door ope for two 30 inch doors I would make the ope 59 and 7eights and wedge each side of the frame in,your ope is only one eight of an inch bigger so be should be very doable,of course the rebate is included in this measurement which must be half an inch to suit any available rebate lock,hope this helps
    I thought I was the only one not seeing an issue here. Keep the rebate at12mm max. Your lock set will be slightly proud but not enough to notice. Most of the deanta doors have 15mm slip so be careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 BadAmbassador

Thanks for all the replies folks. It's much appreciated.

Spoke with the fitter on Friday afternoon and he explained the various options. Going to go with a 12mm beading on the ope side of each door to provide the small overlap necessary for the rebate.

• Advertisement
Advertisement