Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Percussion/ Tapping test Sensitity

Options
  • 24-09-2015 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

I just have a question. There are teeth in my mouth that are ever so slightly sensitive to the tapping test at the dentist. It feels like the tooth is a little hollower than another. The fillings in these teeth are not to the nerve and very small; I must also mention it is quite sensitive to cold.
    Another tooth which has no filling or cavity is also slightly sensitive to tapping.
    Is this a definate indication of inevitable tooth death regardless of little to no decay?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

JJEP wrote: »
    I just have a question. There are teeth in my mouth that are ever so slightly sensitive to the tapping test at the dentist. It feels like the tooth is a little hollower than another. The fillings in these teeth are not to the nerve and very small; I must also mention it is quite sensitive to cold.
    Another tooth which has no filling or cavity is also slightly sensitive to tapping.
    Is this a definate indication of inevitable tooth death regardless of little to no decay?

Tapping a tooth and deciphering the varied response is just another tool/test in the overall assessment of the tooth. A negative response of no pain does not always mean that the tooth is ok and a positive or painful response does not always mean that the tooth is terrible either....
    It must be assessed with along with the xrays, clinical assessment, vitality tests etc...

If a number of teeth are sensitive to tap, maybe consider checking for signs of grinding your teeth??

• Registered Users Posts: 32 JJEP

Tapping a tooth and deciphering the varied response is just another tool/test in the overall assessment of the tooth. A negative response of no pain does not always mean that the tooth is ok and a positive or painful response does not always mean that the tooth is terrible either....
    It must be assessed with along with the xrays, clinical assessment, vitality tests etc...

If a number of teeth are sensitive to tap, maybe consider checking for signs of grinding your teeth??
    That's a good a pointer cheers. I have no signs of grinding however I do clench my teeth when stressed. It could have something to do with it
    Cheers for help

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭res ipsa

JJEP wrote: »
    That's a good a pointer cheers. I have no signs of grinding however I do clench my teeth when stressed. It could have something to do with it
    Cheers for help

Try to consciously put your tongue between your teeth when under pressure & this will break the negative pattern.

Advertisement