Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**Spoilers** Series 9, Episode 2 - "The Witchs Familiar"

Options
  • 24-09-2015 3:57pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Very enigmatic episode titles so far, and I'm not seeing the link if I'm honest.

As always with two parters, there's the risk that all the excitement of the mystery from part 1 will fizzle into an anti-climax for part 2, but here's hoping not. That said, I am presuming the 'death' of Clara and Missy, along with the destruction of the TARDIS will be reversed (especially considering
    All the trailers for the series showed Clara in definite future episodes :rolleyes:
    )

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

And for those who like to watch it 'live', tonight's episode is on at a different time to last week, 7:45 pm :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

^Once again meaning I'll have to record the lotto. Still, a pauper on opening credits, a millionaire at the close - it would be a very good Doctor Who episode indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Master's daughter? As played by Masie Williams?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Great episode, Missy on top form with some great one liners. Loved the Dr and his line about wearable tech, thought he was just being funny when he grabbed them back earlier in the episode. More questions over Clara and her origin with Missy making the comment about "a friend, inside an enemy, an enemy, inside a friend. Everyones a hybrid"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

I enjoyed it. So is Davros still alive then? An alliance with him and missy?

What happened to the new paradigm daleks and the Dalek prime minister?

• Advertisement

No more sonic screwdriver?!

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Your sewers are revolting. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

No more sonic screwdriver?!

:eek:

Give it three episodes

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I don't understand why that story needed to be stretched into 2 parts but then it is half 2 in the morning so maybe my brain isn't functioning right.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭ebbsy

great performances from capaldi bleach and gomez.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

What a swot!

Michelle Gomez is magnificent. Her dancing along to the dalek voices. I need that gif.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

Capaldi is very much the doctor this season. He's really got the character down. Great two episodes. It's nice to have a real story to start things of.
    Missy has stole every scene she has been in and had all the best lines.
    Great change up with the technology. Lovely throw backs to previous doctors.
    Really really enjoyable. And at the end of the day that's what doctor who is about

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Missy may be my favourite new character since Capt. Jack.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Loved the Star Wars references and the brief 1st and 4th Doctor appearance

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭8mv

Good start to the season. I'm not sold on the shades - hope the screwdriver comes back.
    We didn't see Clara being released from the Dalek exoskeleton - the scene jumped rather quickly from The Doctor saying "Oh, Clara. I'm so sorry" in a way that I thought signaled that the way in which Missy had wired Clara into the Dalek body was irreservible, to him and Clara escaping. I'm wondering are we going to re-visit that scene later in the series? Especially given the circumstances in which we were first introduced to Jemma Coleman.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

8mv wrote:
    Good start to the season. I'm not sold on the shades - hope the screwdriver comes back.

Yeh but
    she was clearly running around in the preview for next week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Jessibelle

Das Kitty wrote: »
    What a swot!

Michelle Gomez is magnificent. Her dancing along to the dalek voices. I need that gif.

not the best but tis a start...

tumblr_nvbbr4dQoa1sk9i0co1_400.gif

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Remember when the Daleks were just homicidal killing machines with no remorse or feelings? Seems like now their very existence is something inherently tragic, sad even. He gets a lot of stick these days, and there are a lot of people calling for his departure, but fair play to Moffat for taking what essentially amounts to a contractual obligation and turning it into something deeper and more meaningful. That was the most emotionally depressing episode of Doctor Who I've watched in ages - though I wasn't in good form when I watched anyway. And while Michelle Gomez is slowly melting my resolve and antipathy towards her Missy, her sparring with Clara was easily the comical highlight.

Just on the few comments about the 2-part nature, yeah there wasn't much hard plot to speak of, but it's refreshing that a Dr. Who story had the time for all its ticks and themes to play out: all too often in the past, adventures have hurtled forward at breakneck speed, never giving enough time for the deeper layers to do their thing. Imagine if this was a single 45 minute episode: would there have been room for all those Doctor / Davros scenes? I think not. They were gripping.

All in all, that was a very strong, confident start to the series; very understated but it feels like Who is purely about its characters these days - love 'em or hate 'em - rather than pure spectacle or some token soap-opera styling.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

Every story this series will be a 2 parter so we'll all have to get used to it

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

The Master wrote: »
    Every story this series will be a 2 parter so we'll all have to get used to it

I am very happy to hear that actually
    Far too often things have to be rushed to fit the time format, nice to give them some time to flesh things out

I very much enjoyed this 2 parter, looking forward to getting the time to watch them back to back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

pixelburp wrote: »
    Very enigmatic episode titles so far, and I'm not seeing the link if I'm honest.

I think they might refer to Clara as she's seen by The Doctor (The Magician's Apprentice) and Missy (The Witch's Familar) respectively.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

I loved the RUN MISSY RUN made the doctor that much dangerous if you cross him or his friends.
    I agree with 1 poster in relation to Clara and been inside the Dalek capsule along with could he completely free her from the link does she now have some of the Doctors regenative power in her a story that will be down the line maybe her exit line. Hope its not like Donna though.

I hate posting long GIFs directly into threads, and this was a moment that made me laugh out loud - the point I thought 'Hey you know what, I think I might like Missy after all'

http://doctorwho.tumblr.com/post/129952458686/series-9-the-witchs-familiar

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Das Kitty wrote: »

She is utterly brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 33,270 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Myrddin wrote: »
    She is utterly brilliant

At times she's incomprehensible though. She does accents while already having a thick Scottish accent. I've missed a lot of things she's said.

Advertisement