Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driver's door not unlocking on Ford Mondeo

Options
  • 24-09-2015 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭

I've a 2005 Ford Mondeo 2.0 Ghia, with a problem with the locking system. If I lock the doors using the remote control key fob, all doors lock. However, if I unlock them the driver's door remains locked. :(

It's a real pain in the arse to have to jump into the passenger seat to unlock the driver's door.I'm going to take the door fascia off tonight to have a look, any idea's what I should be looking for?n:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

Sounds like a faulty door lock.
    Put your ear to the outside of the door where the lock is and work the remote locking see can you hear the motor trying to operate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭FionnK86

Sounds like a faulty door lock.
    Put your ear to the outside of the door where the lock is and work the remote locking see can you hear the motor trying to operate.

Will do. Never thought of doing that. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Since the door will lock but not unlock I would guess actuator is on its way out.
    Remove door card and have a look if something looks loose. Maybe give it a spray with 3-in-1 oil to lube it a bit.

biko wrote: »
    Since the door will lock but not unlock I would guess actuator is on its way out.
    Remove door card and have a look if something looks loose. Maybe give it a spray with 3-in-1 oil to lube it a bit.

I'll have a look at the actuator, and compare to passenger door. Thanks. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

Can you not unlock the door manually with the key ?

• Advertisement

fineso.mom wrote: »
    Can you not unlock the door manually with the key ?

I haven't tried it yet fineso.mum , but I assume not as dad hasn't been doing so and he's been the one driving it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,947 ✭✭✭cletus

If, like me, you prefer to bodge and old part than replace, those actuators are generally repairable. There is a 12v motor inside, and the brushes can get covered in gunk. If you open the actuator ( its probably sealed closed, but judicious use of a Stanley blade and a small tack hammer works very well here), its possible to remove the motor.

Once its out, remove the motor housing and clean the internals with contact cleaner. Fitting, as they say, is the reverse of removal, and tec-7 is your friend when it comes to resealing the actuator

cletus wrote: »
    If, like me, you prefer to bodge and old part than replace, those actuators are generally repairable. There is a 12v motor inside, and the brushes can get covered in gunk. If you open the actuator ( its probably sealed closed, but judicious use of a Stanley blade and a small tack hammer works very well here), its possible to remove the motor.

Once its out, remove the motor housing and clean the internals with contact cleaner. Fitting, as they say, is the reverse of removal, and tec-7 is your friend when it comes to resealing the actuator

Thorough answer Cletus, thanks for that. I will have a go at it over the weekend. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,947 ✭✭✭cletus

FionnK86 wrote: »
    Thorough answer Cletus, thanks for that. I will have a go at it over the weekend. :D

Let us know how you get on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,775 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

I had this happen to me recently on a Mégane. Getting out in a hurry, I used the remote to lock the doors before the driver's door had fully closed, which caused it to unlock itself straight away; afterwards, even though I unlocked the rest of the doors with the remote, then locked everything again, the drivers' door stayed locked.

I can't remember now exactly what I did to get it back in synch, but it was something like getting in, locking all the doors from the inside, then opening the locked drivers' door with the handle. Haven't had any recurrence since.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

Have the exact same problem with my Mondeo however I notice it only happens when it's warm out.

Advertisement