Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Rust Treatment

Options
  • 24-09-2015 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭

Hall, I have a 96 Transit motorhome and I am looking for a bit of advise on rust, or prevention of. I know these particular vans are prone to rust but mine is built on a pick up chassis so I only really have the front wheel arches to worry about. At the moment the underside of the van is showing signs of surface rust and the usual rust around the wheel arches, I had to get a plate welded into the main spar at the rear to pass this years DOE. I'd like to get the underside of the van treated properly and whatever work needs to be done to the inner wheel arches.

I tackle most jobs myself but I feel this is one maybe left to an expert that has experience with halting the advance of rust. I am based in the West but would consider travelling to get the job done properly at a reasonable cost, can anyone recommend someone that would carry out this work?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Lellostag

Hi there,

I have no experience of the 'Classic Car Workshop' but they're based in Killaloe in Co. Clare and might not be a million miles from where you are. Could be worth getting a quote from them?

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rustynutz

Lellostag wrote: »
    Hi there,

I have no experience of the 'Classic Car Workshop' but they're based in Killaloe in Co. Clare and might not be a million miles from where you are. Could be worth getting a quote from them?

Thanks, ill look into it although Clare is a couple of hours from me, does anyone have any first hand experience of a good panel beater etc. that might be interested in taking it on?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 relayer1001

rustynutz wrote: »
    Hall, I have a 96 Transit motorhome and I am looking for a bit of advise on rust, or prevention of. I know these particular vans are prone to rust but mine is built on a pick up chassis so I only really have the front wheel arches to worry about. At the moment the underside of the van is showing signs of surface rust and the usual rust around the wheel arches, I had to get a plate welded into the main spar at the rear to pass this years DOE. I'd like to get the underside of the van treated properly and whatever work needs to be done to the inner wheel arches.

I tackle most jobs myself but I feel this is one maybe left to an expert that has experience with halting the advance of rust. I am based in the West but would consider travelling to get the job done properly at a reasonable cost, can anyone recommend someone that would carry out this work?

You could acquire a wire brush to attach to the disc grinder and clean chassis this way
    Then apply some old fashioned oil based preferably with lead household paint, lashings of it and let it float into the cavities
    Years ago I did this with a K20 and the car is as new
    Under seal after to avoid it looking naff

Advertisement