Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skydiving: Doing the Accelerated Freefall Course in Ireland

Options
  • 24-09-2015 6:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi All,
    I was wondering if anyone has completed their AFF Course in Ireland and what are your thoughts on it. Specifically weather-wise is it a pain doing it in Ireland? Were there times when you rocked up to jump and were told the weather was too bad to jump? I live around an hour and a half from the drop zone in and I'm worried about wasting my time commuting if there is likely to be a lot of cancellations. I'm deliberating whether to do it in Ireland or splash the cash and do it abroad in Madrid where there is consistently good weather.

Also I'm hoping to do it in the Irish Parachute Club, any feedback on them?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,039 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Can I ask why do you want to jump out of a perfectly serviceable airplane?

I flew jumpers for a couple of years out of P'town, the craziest yet nicest bunch of people that i ever had the pleasure to fly. I would say that apart from just getting the AFF qualification, the best part of being with a drop zone is the friendships that you will form. I don't think that you will get the same feeling if you do a rapid course in the USA.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 anonymau5

Haha a perfectly good question! I've only done one tandem dive before and I already know it's the best rush for me. That's a very good point, I've noticed trainees always develop a strong camaraderie with fellow divers. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭jimmurt

anonymau5 wrote: »
    Hi All,
    I was wondering if anyone has completed their AFF Course in Ireland and what are your thoughts on it. Specifically weather-wise is it a pain doing it in Ireland? Were there times when you rocked up to jump and were told the weather was too bad to jump? I live around an hour and a half from the drop zone in and I'm worried about wasting my time commuting if there is likely to be a lot of cancellations. I'm deliberating whether to do it in Ireland or splash the cash and do it abroad in Madrid where there is consistently good weather.

Also I'm hoping to do it in the Irish Parachute Club, any feedback on them?

Thanks!

IPC is a great club with all you need to do AFF apart from weather and it's only open at weekends.

Weather is a major factor in skydiving especially for students who have tighter restrictions. You would have to be extremely patient to do the AFF and full license course in Ireland.

I went to Madrid and would recommend it. Btw there is no such thing as guaranteed weather. Even Spain has high winds and clouds so factor this in if you're planning a trip.

You could do the entire 25 jump license course in 2 weeks no problem.

Thanks Jim!! Much appreciated, would you know of what months would be best to do it in Madrid weather-wise? And can you give a ballpark figure of how much doing the course would cost including everything if I was going for 2 weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭jimmurt

Thanks Jim!! Much appreciated, would you know of what months would be best to do it in Madrid weather-wise? And can you give a ballpark figure of how much doing the course would cost including everything if I was going for 2 weeks?

Check out http://www.skydivemadrid.es/ for accurate info on costs etc. There's plenty of info on the website and you can email or call them as well.

You could also contact them on the best months to go. Dunno about you but I don't wait once I get something into my head :D

There is a wind tunnel opening in Madrid in December too. These are great tools for training especially for students.

Check out http://www.freefalluniversity.co.uk/

These operate on the same dropzone.

• Advertisement

Thanks again Jim that's a great help! I think I'll save up a bit more and do it in Madrid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

Thanks again Jim that's a great help! I think I'll save up a bit more and do it in Madrid.

Hi. Before you commit to anything I would recommend that you take a spin to the IPC and have a chat with them in person about the options available. They are a very welcoming bunch and will be happy to show you around. You could meet and talk to the instructors both AFF and SL.

I can't comment on Madrid as I've never jumped there but the student operation in the IPC is second to none. You will have the time of your life and make lifelong friends.

Best of luck which ever you choose.

And remember

you may never get rid of the butterflies, but you can teach them how to fly in formation.

Haha thanks Rustynut, sounds like great advice as either way I'm sure I'll be doing plenty of jumps there! Cheers

Advertisement