Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinion over Information on Documentaries

Options
  • 23-09-2015 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭

I feel there could be great documentaries on the TV except they're overladen with opinion depriving the viewer to make an informed opinion or the need to make the presenter seem "human" or scant information and often the need to constantly repeat this small piece of information

An example of overladen opinion was "The Ascent of Woman" just on BBC2 a while ago (21:00-22:00), I only saw the last episode of a 4 part series and while the information was interesting the presenter felt it necessary to impart her opinion where ever possible much to my anger

There was a documentary on BBC4 a number of years ago that involved WW1 POWs being recorded by German Linguists recording the accents and languages of the prisoners. Interesting stuff for 5 minutes the other 55 minutes no other information was given but for the presenter to look for the descendants of some of the prisoners and let them listen to the recordings so that the presenter could have big sob and as a result cause the interviewees to have a sob

There was another BBC4 documentary where many of the population that would've made traditional officer material were dead in the 1st year of WW1. The premise of non-traditional officers might have been interesting but it focused on an individual of mixed black and white origin (this too could've been interesting), again scant information and the need of the presenter to show that he's human too so tears here and there and a good cry where I imagined the presenter trying to tell me "look I can cry therefore I am human". The presenter went barmy where he went to an old trench and started to cry again and said "I know what it must have felt like in the great war" with the obligatory shots of a field of poppies in order that the viewer should feel in a certain way

Does anybody else have any views (I realise this may seem ironic) on presenters feeling the need to let viewers know that they're human have documentaries taken over by opinion or indeed documentaries having scant information and the programme becomes all about the presenter

Advertisement