Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

susi tutorial fees eligibility query

Options
  • 23-09-2015 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

hello
    i am wondering if anyone can give me some advice on susi and tutorial fees.
    i am currently on disability allowance and have applied to susi for fees and tutorial fees. i am waiting for a decision at the moment but my college is telling me that i probably won't be eligible for tutorial fees because i did a art time distance learning level 7 diploma course in 2004. the course i am now undertaking is level 8 and a completely different subject. the previous course was paid for out of my own pocket so i have never applied for fees before and didn't claim tax relief. i have heard that after 10 years out of education i should be eligible because of the 5 year rule but i can't find any clarification on this anywhere. i am a mature independent student with disability allowance as my only means
    any help would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Sup08

expatoz wrote: »
    hello
    i am wondering if anyone can give me some advice on susi and tutorial fees.
    i am currently on disability allowance and have applied to susi for fees and tutorial fees. i am waiting for a decision at the moment but my college is telling me that i probably won't be eligible for tutorial fees because i did a art time distance learning level 7 diploma course in 2004. the course i am now undertaking is level 8 and a completely different subject. the previous course was paid for out of my own pocket so i have never applied for fees before and didn't claim tax relief. i have heard that after 10 years out of education i should be eligible because of the 5 year rule but i can't find any clarification on this anywhere. i am a mature independent student with disability allowance as my only means
    any help would be greatly appreciated

There are no 10 or 5 year rules once you have gained a qualification at the same level, you must be progressing in studies to qualify for grant assistance.
    You need to find out from QQI what your Level 7 Diploma is the equivalent of on the current NFQ.
    If your Diploma is the same as an NFQ Level 7 Ordinary Degree then you may be eligible to return to education on a Level 8 Honours Degree Course for a further 4 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭expatoz

hi thanks for response, my previous college have told me this
    The Diploma carries 90 ECTS (NFQ Level 7)
    the course i have begun is Degree - Honours Bachelor (Level 8 NFQ)
    thanks again

Advertisement