Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hotels in Dublin... and Web Summit?

Options
  • 23-09-2015 6:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Had to go to Dublin on business today and had to stay up tonight and tomorrow night...

Went to book a hotel - used LastMinute at first and saw that there were VERY few rooms and they were costly... like 5 hotels on the list and average 500 Euro a night... booked one and had LastMinute come back to say they cancelled my booking....

I then started Googling hotels and going to their website... I went to dozens, from the big ones in the centre of town to corporate ones near the airport to small ones in various subarbs....

Finally got the last hotel in a small hotel in town...

Two questions:
    1. Is there something specific on tonight leading to all the hotels being full
    2. Is this the lack of hotel rooms in Dublin that may have been a little part of the Web Summit leaving Dublin after 2015?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

I have no idea, but I just Googled "Dublin 23rd September" and got a few events that might explain it.

Can't see what connection you're making with the Web summit. Dublin has hundreds of hotels.

Trivago is showing a number of hotels for around the 200 mark also.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

THe average occupancy for hotels in Dublin is over 90% at the moment on an ongoing basis.

I'd a colleague who had to do a course last week and the cheapest hotel they could get was 220e per night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

B..... me! No wonder people are making so much money on AirBnB.

Hang on a moment while I kick out the lodger...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

I was doing a course in dunlin recently that required me to stay a few nights at short notice.

Of all the cities I have visited recently dunlin was the hardest one to find a hotel in and when I did it was very expensive. Most hotels in the area I wanted to stay were booked out and the others were over 220 per nite.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

No wonder Holiday Inn Express are opening that big new one on O'Connell St if 90% is the norm thats insane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

jimmii wrote: »
    No wonder Holiday Inn Express are opening that big new one on O'Connell St if 90% is the norm thats insane.

and it can't come quick enough, my friend couldn't even find a hostel/hotel in town tonight, there was literally nothing available. It's crazy in Dublin at this stage and I suspect lack of affordable accommodation for students is adding to the problem.

Those 200 rooms will come in handy and hopefully it won't be long before they are looking for a second central site.

If something isn't done soon it will start costing our economy big time.

Can't blame the Web Summit for moving, they should of moved years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,292 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

DCC are probably taking up any spare rooms at all for 'emergency accomodation'?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

There was a brake put on hotel development before the crash due to water supply constraints IIRC. Only hotels to open since about 2008 were already under construction or built and awaiting tenancy for years (Gibson/Marker/etc). Some low end hotels are closed down and some very low end ones are 95% emergency accommodation now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

L1011 wrote: »
    There was a brake put on hotel development before the crash due to water supply constraints IIRC. Only hotels to open since about 2008 were already under construction or built and awaiting tenancy for years (Gibson/Marker/etc). Some low end hotels are closed down and some very low end ones are 95% emergency accommodation now.

Even during the Boom. Very few hotels were built in Dublin. Nearly all hotels were built in the middle of no where for tax relief. I know of 2 hotels in Dublin, that were closed as hotels and reopened as student accommodation and a nursing home( Some McCabes hotel in Finglas and the Montrose in Stillorgan). Im sure there is a few more elsewhere in the City.

There is no real plans for new hotels in Dublin planned. Although there is massive shortage of 5 star hotel rooms(I imagine for multinational executives over here and the increasing amount of Rich Americans with the weak Euro)

Advertisement