Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cap 2 introductory assessment?

Options
  • 23-09-2015 5:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭

Anyone shed some light on what is involved with this, or what we can expect? Just got the email to say it is on Oct 8th at 7pm.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 elle.en

It's focuses on financial reporting, in particular double entry.

From last year's assessment:

The assessment is 75 minutes in length with 3 sections:
    Section 1: Combination of financial accounting calculations (e.g. cost of sales, taxation etc.) and journal entries for these calculations
    Section 2: Applying Financial Standards to calculations
    Section 3: Trial Balance with adjustments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭s15r330

elle.en wrote: »
    It's focuses on financial reporting, in particular double entry.

From last year's assessment:

The assessment is 75 minutes in length with 3 sections:
    Section 1: Combination of financial accounting calculations (e.g. cost of sales, taxation etc.) and journal entries for these calculations
    Section 2: Applying Financial Standards to calculations
    Section 3: Trial Balance with adjustments.

So it shouldn't be anything too strenuous? Is there anywhere I can view past examples? Haven't received my login details for chartered yet!

s15r330 wrote: »
    So it shouldn't be anything too strenuous? Is there anywhere I can view past examples? Haven't received my login details for chartered yet!

I found it to be tough enough if you're out of practice for a few months with double entry. I've tried to attach last year's paper and solution - hope it works. It's available on the student site but not sure if you can see it without being logged in.

Yeh i'm thinking the same for myself as it has been a good few months! I'll get practicing that, thanks a million :)
    Does your result have any sort of impact?

Not really, as in it doesn't affect your final CAP2 marks in any way. If you score badly you might get a sit down from your manager telling you to up your game in future - not only for exams, but because double entry is basic stuff for an accountant so you'd be expected to be fairly proficient.

Edit to add: I think there's a workshop put on for those who do badly too, so you can get to the level you need to be at.

• Advertisement

Ah i'm just worrying, i'll be grand in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 MJ24

Am i screwed?? its been over an year since i looked at financial reporting.

Any help will be appreciated..Starting one of the big 4 firm next month..so i do want a good first impression.

Any way to get old papers?? 2015? and the years before so can practice..

Aghhh whyy

MJ24 wrote: »
    Am i screwed?? its been over an year since i looked at financial reporting.

Any help will be appreciated..Starting one of the big 4 firm next month..so i do want a good first impression.

Aghhh whyy

Only been 5 months for me but feels like forever. Where are you starting? We have 2weeks, lots of time.

yeah i just need to breathe..They should have given us more time...
    am joining deloitte..how about yourself?

yeah i just need to breathe..They should have given us more time...
    am joining deloitte..how about yourself?

Same as, Audit? I have 2 friends joining too, one Oct 26th and 2 of us Nov 2nd.

• Advertisement

yeah audit..whats with different dates?? my date is 27th oct..

I'd say its just to stagger the entry, too many to start on one day I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 mayolass2015

Is there just last years paper to go by? I wasn't expecting a test so soon, will have to try pull out some old books seen as they are not providing notes because this is stuff we have "already covered"

Is there just last years paper to go by? I wasn't expecting a test so soon, will have to try pull out some old books seen as they are not providing notes because this is stuff we have "already covered"

Where are you starting Mayolass?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 mayolass2015

s15r330 wrote: »
    Where are you starting Mayolass?

Starting in PWC Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 47 dyanne

Hi,

I've just mailed requesting previous assessments so hopefully they'll either put more up or reply with some, if they reply with some attached, will let you know..

I've just had a reply there that stating they have now put up the 2013 on the site..

I've just had a reply there stating they have now put up the 2013 on the site..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭lightspeed

Anyone have a link of where to go to set up access online?

I got my student number over the phone and picked up my books already. Just waiting on letter to arrive with confirmation of exemptions. Im not sure if I need to wait until then but the guy I spoke to on the phone from the CAI mentioned briefly that there was somewhere on the website for new students to go to set themselves up online, and that it would not be accessable for me until Friday.

Hopefully ill have the letter tomorrow if I need it but if not id like to try get online and access past papers tomorrow anyways.

lightspeed wrote: »
    Anyone have a link of where to go to set up access online?

I got my student number over the phone and picked up my books already. Just waiting on letter to arrive with confirmation of exemptions. Im not sure if I need to wait until then but the guy I spoke to on the phone from the CAI mentioned briefly that there was somewhere on the website for new students to go to set themselves up online, and that it would not be accessable for me until Friday.

Hopefully ill have the letter tomorrow if I need it but if not id like to try get online and access past papers tomorrow anyways.

Go to students.charteredaccountants.ie and click on Student Login. On the login page there will be a link saying "Forgotten Password or New Student". Click this and you should be able to set yourself up from there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭lightspeed

elle.en wrote: »
    Go to students.charteredaccountants.ie and click on Student Login. On the login page there will be a link saying "Forgotten Password or New Student". Click this and you should be able to set yourself up from there.

Thanks but what do I do for a password?

It has "retrieve and password" and "reset your password".

Do I just add my email address and student number and wait for CAI to email me a password?

I was not sure if the letter im due to receive would have a password already so was weary of enter details to reset my password before actually receiving anything from CAI.

I can't remember the exact steps as it's been over a year since I've had to do it, but you set your own password, you aren't given one as far as I remember

Everyone happy?

Advertisement