Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LPG vs Induction Cookers

Options
  • 23-09-2015 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭

Looking at buying a range cooker and split between the two above

Has anyone made this choice recently and why you went with one over the other?

Seems that gas being less efficient at 40% vs induction at 84% but is cheaper per task(ie. boiling 10litres of water). https://www.bijlibachao.com/appliances/cooktop-comparison-gas-electric-and-induction.html

A 104 lbs cylinder is in around 110euro, if you use bottled gas how long does this last you and how often do you cook?

Dual-Fuel ranges are about 1000 cheaper vs induction ones. Or would it be better to go gas for both hob and oven?

How much would it cost to pipe gas from outside to your range?
    How far would you keep the cylinder away and ways of concealing it?
    Any safety concerns with gas other than leaving the hob on without a flame? - or are there any safety features that might cut the gas if its not burning?

Above is the cost side of things, but what about actually cooking on gas vs induction which do you prefer?

Poll LPG vs Induction 7 votes

Cost efficency - LPG
    0%
    Cost efficency - Induction
    0%
    Cooking Preference - LPG
    14%
    Cionn 1 vote
    Cooking Preference - Induction
    42%
    CionnbrightsparkMycroft H 3 votes
    Which would you chose - LPG
    14%
    colm_mcm 1 vote
    Which would you chose - Induction
    28%
    Cionnbrightspark 2 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

I don't have any experience with induction cookers so can't really comment on them, but bear in mind that you'll need to buy magnetic based pans in case you don't have them.

You should be able to get a large cylinder of propane for cheaper than €110. I just got one for €95. Our previous cylinder was 34kg and this lasted 21 months (for just the hob - oven is electric). Near daily usage, but only cooking for two.

I got a plumber mate to run a pipe from outside in so don't know on prices, but it was just a couple of hours work. The cylinder is at side of the house - haven't tried concealing its in an area where I store stuff. No real safety concerns once its done by a qualified plumber - I wouldn't be aware of anything that cuts the gas if its not burning.

Compared to normal electric its a world apart for cooking - much more control.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Looking at buying a range cooker and split between the two above

Has anyone made this choice recently and why you went with one over the other?

Seems that gas being less efficient at 40% vs induction at 84% but is cheaper per task(ie. boiling 10litres of water). https://www.bijlibachao.com/appliances/cooktop-comparison-gas-electric-and-induction.html

The reason the induction cooker is more efficient is because some losses have already occurred at the power generating plant (probably more efficient than you would be as large scale production is usually more efficient, but there are always losses)

Electricity is always going to be more efficient, but that isn't what really matters, the cost is!

As far as you are concerned the cost per task should be more important. If however you are concerned about efficency for "green" reasons, then you need to find out how efficiently the electricity was generated.

Personally I'd go with a gas hob, if only to provide a way of boiling water in the event of power cuts etc.

Gas jobs sold in Ireland must have flame failure sensors AFAIK (some of which may require electricity to work)

I'd imagine an induction hob is a lot easier to clean though, but maybe you aren't a messy cook

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Yeah, all gas hobs sold in Ireland must have flame-failure devices (they don't need electricity to function, power is just for ignition sparks). So if you turn on the hob and don't ignite it, gas won't flow.

You have to press the knob and hold it, spark it and hold a few seconds until the FFD probe heats, which allows gas to continue to flow.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭howyegettinon1

Think ill go with the gas then haven't cooked on it about 10 years but still remember that it's better to cook on gas over the electric.
    Might dig and cement a compartment round the side of the house to hold 2 47kg cylinders keep them out of sight, with a cover over the top should keep them from freezing over in the winter too.

Yeah my main concern is the cost to run and would be great to make a cup of tea if the power goes.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Just note, that unlike Butane, Propane won't suffer from freezing temps. A quick Google says Propane is good to -42°C whereas Butane won't work well below zero.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭wytch

Bottled gas is going to be cheaper to use than the electricity. I will attach a link. If you divide the calorific value of the fuel by the unit cost it will give you the cost per kilowatt hour. (Prices SEAI July 2015)
    Delivered energy cost per kilowatt hour:
    Electricity: 21.83cent (I pay 20cent)
    Bottled gas 47kg: 16.61cent
    Natural gas: I pay 5cent :eek: with Flogas (3 bed house)

This is only per kW/h of fuel delivered. It doesn't take into account standing charges or carbon taxes. (None on bottled gas.)

http://www.seai.ie/Publications/Statistics_Publications/Fuel_Cost_Comparison/Domestic-Fuel-Cost-Comparisons.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭howyegettinon1

thanks that's a great link very informative

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Alun

The thing is though that induction hobs are much more efficient at getting that energy into heating the pan and it's contents as opposed to a lot of it just going into heating up the kitchen as gas does. I've seen figures of over 90% for induction as opposed to less than 50% for gas being quoted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Alun wrote: »
    The thing is though that induction hobs are much more efficient at getting that energy into heating the pan and it's contents as opposed to a lot of it just going into heating up the kitchen as gas does. I've seen figures of over 90% for induction as opposed to less than 50% for gas being quoted.

That may be true, but you are neglecting the losses incurred in the generation of the electricity.

http://www.mpoweruk.com/energy_efficiency.htm
    List various theoretical efficiencies for power generation, gas is approx 40%

So the losses will either occur at your cooker or at the generating station

The pans themselves will still radiate heat anyway and the steam from the cooking is also another inevitable heat loss.

What really matters is the end cost to the user, even that may not be as important as ease of use etc. all dependant on the individuals preference.

Advertisement