Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is my 9 month old eating too much?

Options
  • 23-09-2015 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I don't have a concern as such but I'm curious as to feedback from other parents please/. My 9 month old is fit, healthy happy and all go thank god :D

She has a great appetite and started weaning at 5 months and has flown since, eating everything we give her. I am a little concerned about the amount she can consume in a day however. She isn't over weight, is very alert and active so maybe just burns it up easily?

Typical day:
    7:15 8oz bottle

8:15 1 weetabix or porridge, sometimes with chopped fruit

11:00 - 5 pm: At childminders.
    Will finish 8oz bottle
    dinner bowl (salmon / chickem potates veg herbs etc )
    Fruit pot (made of two pieces of fruit, whole banana and nectarine for example)
    Snack: Youghurt and melon, or 2 slices cheese and 1 slice homemade brown brown bread

6pm: Supper. cheese on wholemeal toast, or 1 scrambled / boiled egg for example.

7:00 8oz bottle

Her weight, height and fitness is fine, sleeps great, poops regularly but is ALWAYS happy to eat any food offered and genuinely gets hungry. It seems a lot for someone so small - I dont want to seem silly asking our GP is it normal:rolleyes: Any feedback out there please?

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

They eat a lot at that age. If she's hungry and is willing to eat what's put in front of her let her eat as much as she wants. She's growing quickly, she needs the food for this.

Trust me, when she gets a little older it will be the opposite problem and you'll be trying to stop yourself from acting on thoughts of bribing her to eat a few spoons of dinner.

She's getting a wide variety of foods and tastes from your description. Sounds good.

I know it's hard not to worry about how little or how much they're eating, but if they're hungry they'll eat, if they're full they'll stop.

I personally have a complex about leaving food behind on my own plate (no matter how stuffed I am) as it was drilled into me growing up to finish up. I'm doing my best not to pass this sort of thing on to my kids (and failing on occasion!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Plek Trum

Thanks Das kitty - yes I guess you're right, she does turn away the odd time (although I thought that was down to a dislike of tomato based food with mince - could be my cooking too of course)

If I ate what she eats in a day I'd be in great shape in stead of coffee & croissant on the go and toasted sandwich and chips for lunch haha!
    Might start following her own meal plan and do myself a favour ;)

She is growing a LOT lately, so you are correct there. Thanks for the feedback, I'll enjoy it while it lasts I guess !

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

That doesn't sound like too much to me.
    My 16 month old would eat more then the 4 and 6 year olds do.
    Since at 6 months she decided this food idea was a good one,she has not stopped eating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

My 21 month old never stops eating.
    After eating a cup of grapes today he took my wife by the hand to show her where he could get more with her help.

Both his hands are always full.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

Enjoy it while it lasts op.
    I love it when they eat all around them because it changes dramatically once they become Aware that they have a mind of their own!

It's great when no matter what you give em they will try!
    You are doin good!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭elly123

Definitely enjoy it OP! i had the opposite problem with my guy until now. he is 2.5yrs. he only started to eat regularly about 2/3 months ago. The amount of food that was put in the bin in the last 2 years is disgraceful. I spent hours upon hours cooking lots of different recipes for them to be all thrown in the bin. We even had him at a consultant because we were that worried, i spent nights crying and months of worry and stress because he never ate. I was told he would grow out of it and sure enough he did. So enjoy that your little lady has a great appetite, i would have done anything to get my little guy to eat even half of that at his age :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Plek Trum

Thanks guys, appreciate the replies - off to the shops again after work food shopping so :) !

Advertisement