Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Need advice, how to import a classic with no tax book.

Options
  • 23-09-2015 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Ok so I have just gotten a classic car as a restoration project.

It's on northern Irish plates and the vin plates are intact but the tax book was lost.
    How do I go about importing it and getting a new Irish tax book for it?

I know there is going to be a lot of red tape so I thought I would get some advice as to the best way of going about it.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

you'll have to get NI paperwork for it first.

Let's hope it belonged to the guy who sold it to you

In any event you wont be able to re-register it until it is a viable car.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 pivotman94

you'll have to get NI paperwork for it first.

Let's hope it belonged to the guy who sold it to you

In any event you wont be able to re-register it until it is a viable car.

The man who sold it to me got him from an old man near his home.
    The old man had imported it but never filled for the paper work so it was left in a shed for years.

He then sold it to the guy I bought it off where it was left in a shed again for years.
    They guy did a bit of work on it before selling it on to me. I have the name and address of the man who sold it to me and the name of the last owner it was registered too.

Ok what do you mean viable car? The car is runing and driving fine. It just need a bit of engine work and alot of body work.

How do I go about getting the NL paper work, this is first on my list as I don't want to start working on it with knowing if I can ever legal own the thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

Can you get the guy you bought it from to apply for the necessary paperwork in N.I. - and then he can 'sell' it on to you?

I registered a classic recently and they required all the necessary paperwork, sale receipt, UK reg document, etc etc

Silvera wrote: »
    Can you get the guy you bought it from to apply for the necessary paperwork in N.I. - and then he can 'sell' it on to you?

I registered a classic recently and they required all the necessary paperwork, sale receipt, UK reg document, etc etc

I don't think thats an option, the reason I was able to get the car for well below the asking was because he didn't have any paper work. I can't really go back and hey mate I need the paper work also.

The only paper work I have is a 'Vehicle Test Certificate' from 1995 stating it's age license pate and the last know owner. Who is the old man that sold the car to the man I bought it from.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭unfit2006

• Advertisement

unfit2006 wrote: »
    Apply to DVLa for a certificate of permanent export:

That looks like what I need! Cheers Mate.

Do you know what happens after I send this away?

I think you're going to struggle with that if you aren't the Registered Owner.

I think you're going to struggle with that if you are the Registered Owner.

What do you mean, I am not the Registered Owner?

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭unfit2006

Complete it and send it off and they will post you over the cert in 3 0r 4 weeks.
    Produce the cert when you declare the vehicle for VRT inspection.

pivotman94 wrote: »
    What do you mean, I am not the Registered Owner?

my apologies edited

• Advertisement
Advertisement