Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with my wordpress

Options
  • 23-09-2015 6:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭

Hi I put my site up in the review section and got some good pointers, could someone help me by explaining to me how I add some content onto my home page. A few people said to get rid of the slider or add content into the slider. I've tried doing this but not successfully.
    I managed to remove the slider but the home page looked very bare. I'm not sure if my theme allows me to do want I want.
    Or should I just leave as is.
    www.chrisperkinspad.com

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭M.T.D

You have a basic WordPress site that now needs content.
    Search engines index and rank on text content, your site does not have any.
    You have pictures in your gallery but no text describing the the work done e.g. colours, paints finishes, effect achieved etc.

Your site has 3 main tasks.
    1. Get found and ranked well by search engines (Google) - Needs optimised text content and structure
    2. Be visually appealing to site visitor so that they don't immediately leave. - a big picture with no context does not do it for me
    3. Convert the visitor to a paying client - ?

Unless you want to learn about websites and optimising content SEO etc. and will regard that as recompense for the time spent, you would get a much better result, doing and documenting another "professional" painting job, and paying a "professional" website content creator and optimiser to work on your site.

Looked at the other way around.
    Would I be better taking a week off work without pay to paint my house. Learn about paints, preparing surfaces, buying tools (brushes ladders etc.) spend hours trying to get a smooth finish. Or work as normal and pay a "professional" painter/decorator that has the tools and knows what he is doing.

After I have painted my house and somebody comments on my "unprofessional" i.e. crap paint job I can keep quiet (does not cost anything except to my pride)
    Assuming a visitor finds your website and feels it looks "unprofessional" they go to another site that inspires confidence in the decorating company.
    (costs you your income)

There are lots of online resources on webdesign and optimisation, if you really want to do it yourself, spend a few weeks doing an online course and learning about it.

Advertisement