Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Muppets [ABC]

Options
  • 23-09-2015 3:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭

I'm still on the fence after the pilot, but it does have potential.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I'm still on the fence after the pilot, but it does have potential.

I just hope it hasnt been dumbed down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

is it for kids or big kids?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,462 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Big kids! I laughed out loud at parts and I'm in my 40s. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Mr E wrote: »

Exact same here.

Loved it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭johnire

What station is it on?
    Mr E wrote: »

• Advertisement

Fozzie: My job is to warm the audience up for the show:
    Waldorf/Statler: Oh god we are going to die of hypothermia!

I LOL'ed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

Took me a while to realise where I'd seen Fozzie's gf before. Big Bang. Sheldon's assistant/stalker Mona from the pre-Amy Farrah Fowler era.

It had its moments, but I wasn't gone on the reality TV kinda vibe where it was like they were on Kardashians or Jersey Shore or that kinda thing some of the time.
    Fozzie's "passionate bear" ad and Waldorf and Statler's "hypothermia" joke were standout moments.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Watching the first episode now, recorded from Sky One earlier. Shaky Cam is incredibly annoying. I thought they got off to a good start with the "Wrecking Ball" joke. Miss Piggy as Miley Cyrus? :eek:
    duridian wrote: »
    Took me a while to realise where I'd seen Fozzie's gf before. Big Bang. Sheldon's assistant/stalker Mona from the pre-Amy Farrah Fowler era.
    a.k.a. Riki Lindhome of Garfunkel & Oates fame. She's a screamer:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Watched it again last night and there was a very subtle joke I missed first time.

Kermit: we are in a meeting right now!
    Zoot: this is a meeting? OK <stands up> My name is Zoot and I'm an..
    <another Muppet whispers in Zoots ear>
    Zoot: oh, not that kind of meeting

I laughed out loud at that. Its definitely a program for adults.

Also loved the bit with Kermit describing how he met the new pig in his life. The facial expressions were great.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I've only seen the first episode, and to be honest I don't have a problem with 'adult' Muppets; anyone who grew up with them should know that there has always been something playfully subversive about their type of humour. What I don't like is the mundane, drab setting and plots of office politics & relationships - that holds absolutely no appeal to me and just feels inherently against the kind of tone I'd expect from the Muppets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,856 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I'm up to episode 4 and to be honest, as a fan of the Muppets, I'm beginning to get bored.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I watched the first 3 and then gave up. It's just not muppety enough and I think that's down to the docu-style format. I think an adult version of the Muppets would work great with a live audience, but this is slightly disappointing. There's some good laughs alright, but not enough to bring me back week after week.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭squonk

I find it OK really. There are some great moments in each show. I howled when Piggy was getting the hot stone massage and Chef passed by and says "Somebdoy cookin' de bacon'. :D. I think it needs a bit of time to grow into itself but overall I think it's not bad. The last muppets show I remember was 'Muppets Tonight' from the 90's and I think The Muppets as a show definitely is an improvement on that. I'm still enjoying it and looking out for it each week. Hope it gets a good run!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

An additional 3 episodes have been ordered to its original 13, bringing its total to 16 for its first season. However, it will take a break after airing its 10th episode in December, to return in the Spring after a Winter hiatus, which will be treated as a "relaunch/reboot" of the series.

http://deadline.com/2015/11/the-muppets-showrunner-bob-kushell-exit-kristin-newman-reboot-1201606360/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭squonk

That's interesting. I wonder what they mean by reboot. I still don't think the show is that bad really. I think the last few have had less laughs but overall it's not bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

squonk wrote: »
    That's interesting. I wonder what they mean by reboot. I still don't think the show is that bad really. I think the last few have had less laughs but overall it's not bad.

Well they're bringing in a new showrunner and have listened to the feedback they've gotten from the critics and fans alike, so they'll be taking it in a new direction it would seem.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I've seen the first 3 episodes of this and I enjoyed it! I hope they don't retool it too much. Less fozzy would be appreciated though, I've never liked him and he's all over the screen now!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,856 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Having only watched the first 3 or 4 episodes (I turned off halfway through 4), I tried the latest one which is the supposed reboot and I have to say it was a massive improvement. It was more entertaining than the previous episodes I've seen and didn't seem to drag like those. So think it'll go back on the to watch list

Advertisement