Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IT path, and is there a point at this stage...?

Options
  • 22-09-2015 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm currently 35, and getting really sick of current job, to the point of thinking about a drastic career change. I have always been into computers, did some IT in college, but never finished it (tried twice, but due to various issues had to drop pretty fast), and I know quite a bit, plus am always willing to learn more. I was considering starting the college again, next year but having second thoughts about it too, whether it's not too late at this age, etc. I'm more into programming than anything else, but would consider other areas too, however I don't know how the job market looks like now and what is the best way to go. I'm in Cork area btw.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Ant695

galson wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm currently 35, and getting really sick of current job, to the point of thinking about a drastic career change. I have always been into computers, did some IT in college, but never finished it (tried twice, but due to various issues had to drop pretty fast), and I know quite a bit, plus am always willing to learn more. I was considering starting the college again, next year but having second thoughts about it too, whether it's not too late at this age, etc. I'm more into programming than anything else, but would consider other areas too, however I don't know how the job market looks like now and what is the best way to go. I'm in Cork area btw.

One thing I can say is that I'm currently on a placement part of an it course at the minute and while I'm 27 35 would not be considered old on my course as the oldest is mid 40's. Age isn't really an issue if you put the work in jot just in class but at home as well and don't just limit yourself to what's on your course but do other stuff as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

I was 33 when I started in IT - age isn't a barrier.

Nate

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

2 words : get certified.
    I'm in Cork , we cannot get microsoft certified staff. there just aren't enough of them.

difficult enough to do, but from talking to other people hiring IT staff , it's a big differential.

Not necessarily one I agree with mind you , but the market seems to be dictating that.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭galson

I will be going for some certifications as well whilst doing the college, depending what specialization I will follow in the end, as somebody pointed out IT is such a vast discipline that it is impossible to be a know-it-all there. Unless you spend 36 hours a day learning, reading, etc. ;) No point in getting certified in something I rather will not be doing.

I do realise a college cert is hardly enough, and you need to do various other courses/certs, etc. plus of course a lot of self study and practice (not to mention experience), but it is also something that is so cool about IT - ever changing, ever learning. One of the reasons I hate my current job is that it's stagnant with zero challenge and no views for a change/promotion/etc. Plus, it's permanent night shift.

What sort of MS certified staff are you lacking, horgan_p? Server, desktop, apps, database?

Bare in mind lads, that when I start the college I will be 36, plus some 3 years of it at least (we'll see if there's a point of doing BSc then), so my start would be around 39-40.

If I do nothing though, I'll be stuck in a job I dislike which isn't a great prospect for life at all.

With programming I think, you can always build your own portfolio of some programs/apps to show your skills, participate in some open source project, etc. Those things can't look bad on a CV I guess, and can improve your chances of finding a nice job quite a lot.

The place is crying out for :

Desktop certs to drive deployments
    Server Certification esp. with some background in virtualisation.
    by this time next year, I'll be crying out for someone certified in Azure.

And thats only the microsoft track. I'd find a home for another CCNA in the morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭jag con

Good post as i too am looking at IT as a new career path and i'm 37 :-)

I'm started off in doing the CompTIA A+ as it will teach the basics in IT and i'm also doing a intro in Java programming too, Just to see if it's a area i enjoy.

Horgan_P I'm considering doing the CCNA after the 2 above courses and possibly my MTA or am i better off going for the MCSA?

JC

The quickest path to employment would be to get the CCNA under your belt. Its a relatively short syllabus to get certified. Then I'd horse into the Microsoft stuff.

I myself have started the server 2012 study.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭jag con

horgan_p wrote: »
    The quickest path to employment would be to get the CCNA under your belt. Its a relatively short syllabus to get certified. Then I'd horse into the Microsoft stuff.

I myself have started the server 2012 study.

Thanks so assume i have my CompTIA A+ CCNA MCSA and a intro to Java programming would that be a good level to get a IT job. And what salary range would it be?

JC

jag con wrote: »
    Thanks so assume i have my CompTIA A+ CCNA MCSA and a intro to Java programming would that be a good level to get a IT job. And what salary range would it be?

JC

I would imagine that would be entry level but would depend on the job you go for as well. If for example you were using more of the a+ side it would be along the line of helpdesk role maybe 22k per year starting. If you went programming route and did say java development looking at local companies with grad positions is about 28-30 starting. However a degree gives a much better chance of getting into those kind of roles than certs. It is possible but would usually require starting on a lower level and following internal progression that alot of american companies like to use.

Would CompTIA A+ be also relevant, when having higher cert in Science in Computing already? 'Cause that's what I intend to do first.

MS certifications are quite pricey, although probably worth it in the end. Definitely easier to do when you don't have to support the family already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

horgan_p wrote: »
    The place is crying out for :

Desktop certs to drive deployments
    Server Certification esp. with some background in virtualisation.
    by this time next year, I'll be crying out for someone certified in Azure.

And thats only the microsoft track. I'd find a home for another CCNA in the morning.

I'm 38 and am currently studying a MCSA Windows server 2012. Would you be able to point me in the right direction for work experience?

Got made redundant last year. I have been studying and doing as much Certs as I can and I'm loving the change in career.

Also everyone seems to say do the CCNA but part of my course I'm loving all the virtualisation.
    I'm thinking something in VMware for my next course. Just not sure which one yet.

35 is still young. Your not even half way through your working age if you consider you might work from 18 to 68 😳

Yeah, but does everyone have to be a cisco certified network associate, even when they'd rather pursue the programming path and will not be building networks at all?

I know 35 is still young, not that I feel old. It's just a feeling that I should've done it sooner and lost so many years of potential experience in the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Ow I know that feeling. It took redundancy for me to change direction. Before I was content and plodding along in life.
    I was 18 years in my job. It had certain perks. But the job itself became boring and mind numbing. Which was just getting me down.

All them days in my twenties playing Xbox in the evening. I could have been studying. But the truth is. "That was the right decision for me at that time"
    So if I can give you any advice. It would be to do something your happy doing again. You seem to know what you want to do. So just start. 😀

Thanks for those words, that's really elevating. Nothing wrong with playing the Xbox though, one needs do to something else to relax every now and then, life is not only about working and studying ;) Especially in your 20s. People are pushed to choose the career path way to early IMO, some do, but many people don't really know what they want to do until later.

Would CompTIA A+ be also relevant, when having higher cert in Science in Computing already? 'Cause that's what I intend to do first.

MS certifications are quite pricey, although probably worth it in the end. Definitely easier to do when you don't have to support the family already.

I think that it would be somewhat redundant unless there is more along with it. I think fas bundle the a+ with a linux cert and a networking cert so if you were getting them all together it may be of use but then doing that cert and then if you can move onto a one year degree would probably be better. Again it would depend on the direction you want to go though.

The cert I'm doing goes straight into 2 year honors degree that you can leave after 1 with an ordinary degree which most people I have spoken to think is the best path as opposed to the fas course with a+ etc... as even with the extra time in college you will go into employment at a higher level than the fas course with a+ would allow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Ive said it to a few people on here. If your going to go down the Desktop Support route go for the Industry Certs. In my opinion a Degree is a waste of time unless you were going down the coding siding of things.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,887 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Ive said it to a few people on here. If your going to go down the Desktop Support route go for the Industry Certs. In my opinion a Degree is a waste of time unless you were going down the coding siding of things.

Or in to management eventually, but arguably a different degree is suitable there.

Age wise, its attitude that's important not age. I've had a few staff over the years who've not been happy with a much younger manager (I was 19 with a 62 year old working under me at one point, many years ago) but some of the most skilled and able people I've worked with have been older for the IT industry - and not down to being there for years and years

To be honest I'd rather stay away from desktop support, would be more into coding side of things. Did some coding long, long time ago in Pascal and C, might as well take that route as I remember it quite interesting, and challenging (albeit sometimes really frustrating too). Higher cert is hardly a degree though, just a step above leaving cert.

Currently going through Java, trying to learn as much as I can during this year to have a little head start. Fortunately the syntax is very similar to C.

To be honest I'd rather stay away from desktop support, would be more into coding side of things. Did some coding long, long time ago in Pascal and C, might as well take that route as I remember it quite interesting, and challenging (albeit sometimes really frustrating too). Higher cert is hardly a degree though, just a step above leaving cert.

Currently going through Java, trying to learn as much as I can during this year to have a little head start. Fortunately the syntax is very similar to C.

A higher cert would be 2 years add an extra year onto that you would have an Ordinary Level degree. You should have no problem finding work as a developer.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭AutoMan79

I think it's better to do certs then a college. Much easier to get a job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I work directly on one of the worlds largest MPLS networks and I would kill for a degree in this job market. I should be starting a online level 8 next year if I pass the CCIE.

I work directly on one of the worlds largest MPLS networks and I would kill for a degree in this job market. I should be starting a online level 8 next year if I pass the CCIE.

Im the opposite to you i wish i done the MCSA and CCNA instead of the degree.

In my case, it's 3 years for the higher cert, as it would be part time (I have to work and sleep too, and besides I work nights all the time, Mon-Fri), and given I take 4 modules per semester (with 3 it'd be 4 yrs). I don't really think a degree is a waste of time, it's always something and how you use the time when you're getting that degree, what you learn, etc. is up to you. Certs don't usually take years to get either, and could always be done at any moment, even between semesters.

I know IT is a different job market, but if you look at pharma (quite a good job aroud Cork area, and well paid) the companies don't even want to look at you, unless you at least have Bachelors, with Masters being preferred.

In my case, it's 3 years for the higher cert, as it would be part time (I have to work and sleep too, and besides I work nights all the time, Mon-Fri), and given I take 4 modules per semester (with 3 it'd be 4 yrs). I don't really think a degree is a waste of time, it's always something and how you use the time when you're getting that degree, what you learn, etc. is up to you. Certs don't usually take years to get either, and could always be done at any moment, even between semesters.

I know IT is a different job market, but if you look at pharma (quite a good job aroud Cork area, and well paid) the companies don't even want to look at you, unless you at least have Bachelors, with Masters being preferred.

Yeah a lot of these Pharma plants ask for a Bachelors or Masters more so for Engineering jobs or as I like to call them pen pushers :D Ive being around the block when it comes to IT and when it comes to the support positions Industry certs are they way to go and are not easy to get as the pass rate needs to be 80% or above .

But as you were saying its the Development side of things your looking to get into it will need to be a degree. Best of luck in your studies:)

Advertisement