Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dress code at big 4?

Options
  • 22-09-2015 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭

Hi

This is probably going to sound like a silly stupid question. Im due to start a job with a big 4 accountancy firm and I want to make sure I abide by the dress code.

So is there a right or wrong type of shoe that is or isn't acceptable?

I will be wearing suit and tie each day so need something suitable.

Are cap toe shoes acceptable?

http://www.mensdesignershoe.com/avactis-images/stemar_shoes_verona_calfskin_lace_up_shoes_0.png

Im thinking that im thinking too much into it but a friend who used to work in a big 4 company before told me they quite strict on dress code.

Also regarding a tie, does it matter the colour or design?

I assume noting out of the ordinary but even that is a matter of opinion.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,450 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I work in a big 4 firm and rarely wear anything more dressy than chinos, a shirt and a jumper. Can vary quite a bit, go with a suit for your first few days to be safe while you suss it out. Those shoes are fine.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 41 EIREX

Suit and tie a must.

Prob avoid the brown shoe , white collar blue body shirt combo though ;-)

And remember your not joining one direction so I wouldn't go too trendy whatever you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭T L

Those shoes you linked are perfect. Any reasonable shoe is fine, remember to polish them weekly, lots of people forget that part ;)

In my experience a suit and tie is not a must for non-client facing staff. In other words, if you are not directly interacting with clients, full suit is not essential. For client meetings and so on, suit would generally be expected I believe.

Day to day, pants, shirt and tie is generally fine as Adam mentioned above. Tie/no tie and pants/chinos can probably vary from firm to firm and even department to department within the firm.

You can never go wrong by wearing full suit, but it's not a must like previous poster said. If you have induction training, dress code will be mentioned in the communication to you. I believe induction is generally business casual - pants/shirt/jumper optional, no tie. If you are starting directly, wear a suit the first day until you suss it out. I wouldn't go running out buying a rake of suits for fear of needing them every day, have one or two until you have the lay of the land and work from there.

Advertisement