Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Auto saving to SD card

Options
  • 22-09-2015 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Apologies if this has been covered before. I have a HTC desire 620 and bought a 32gig SD card. However, by default when I try to download a new app it goes to the phone memory.
    I searched to see how to change this and it mentioned downloading Android SDK's and JDKs... so I was a bit out of my depth. Still I tried but the USB driver was not compatible with my macbook...

Anyone got any other ideas as to how to set the SD card as the default location for storing apps?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,214 ✭✭✭ongarite

Saving apps to SD cards was phased out of Android with OS 4.0/4.1.
    You can only really use the SD card for storing music & videos.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

ongarite wrote: »

You can still do it, but one by one, settings-applications

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭mickoneill31

You can't set the SD card to be the default location for apps. Or at least I don't know how.
    Google did change the way that SDCards were used in versions 4 of Android but they've changed it again in the Lollipop.

I'm using Lollipop. As far as I know the Move to SD Card still worked in version 4 of Android. I don't have a HTC but the steps are probably similar for your phone.
    If I open settings and then go to Apps I can see all of my downloaded apps. It shows the amount of storage used by the app. For large ones just click the app and see if Move to SD Card is available. If it is then move away. Not all apps will allow you to do this but most of the large ones will do.

Apps that'll hog your phones storage are games and anything that downloads media e.g. podcast apps. Podcasts apps normally have instructions on what you need to do to make your SD Card the default storage. It's not hard and you only need to do it once.

Some apps won't let you move to SD Card. This may be for security or performance reasons. If the Move to SD Card option isn't available you don't have much choice but you should find you can move loads of apps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

yourhero wrote: »
    Apologies if this has been covered before. I have a HTC desire 620 and bought a 32gig SD card. However, by default when I try to download a new app it goes to the phone memory.
    I searched to see how to change this and it mentioned downloading Android SDK's and JDKs... so I was a bit out of my depth. Still I tried but the USB driver was not compatible with my macbook...

Anyone got any other ideas as to how to set the SD card as the default location for storing apps?
    Yes I had to do it on someone's Sony E4 as they only had 4GB of internal memory EXCLUDING the memory taken up by the OS itself.
    Root the phone and install "Link2sd" from google play
    Run "Link2sd" and it will allow you to automatically save most of each file to the sd card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

You don't need to root, you just need the patience of going through each app and moving them manually (apart from the aforementioned ones that can't.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,790 ✭✭✭thomasj

ongarite wrote: »

Its coming back with android 6.0

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭tharmor

You can still do it, but one by one, settings-applications

Move to SD phased out from Android 5.0.1....u can try link2sd but its hit n miss for many apps....

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭mickoneill31

tharmor wrote: »
    Move to SD phased out from Android 5.0.1....u can try link2sd but its hit n miss for many apps....

I don't know if it's done at OS level or manufacturer.

I've an Xperia Z3 with 5.1.1 and Move to SD is working fine.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭tharmor

I've an Xperia Z3 with 5.1.1 and Move to SD is working fine.

sony has tweaked android to give that feature ..thr are ways to get it done in AOSP as well....

Advertisement