Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Z tables for normal distributions

Options
  • 22-09-2015 6:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to understand how the values in the so called "Z tables" are derived and I seem completely unable to get the information I need by googling.

Wikipedia tells me that every normally distributed curve is the exponent of a quadratic...

f(x) = e ^ ( ax^2 + bx + c )

...and goes on to define a, b and c in terms of the mean and the standard deviation.

Am I on the right track here? If so, then the value that comes out of the Z table is effectively the area under the curve between 0 and a given value of x? This can be determined by integrating the function and evaluating as appropriate? Can anyone link me to something that shows me what the analytical expression for the integral is? There's no way I'd be capable of working it out myself!

Thanks

Comments

Advertisement