Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What should I join and what events should I go to this week?

Options
  • 21-09-2015 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭

I'm a first year and Freshers Week began today. I'd love to join a load of the societies but my course is practically full time and I don't think that I'll have enough time to take advantage of many of them. I'm wondering which of them have lots of events and would be worth joining. I signed up to the Phil and the Hist today as well as a few others but I'm wondering from your own experience, which societies would be best for someone to join who will be busy 9 to 5 or 6 each day. Which ones have lots of events and don't require consistent attendance?

Also, what are the best events to go to during the week? I know that both of these questions go down to personal preference but which ones did you find most enjoyable or wouldn't have liked to miss? Thanks all.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭amymak

Quiz Soc would be a good option for you, since events are run biweekly at 7pm in the evening, so the society would suit your schedule and be worth the €2 membership.
    Also, since it's just quizzes, there's no continuity, you can just go to any events that appeal to you.
    You can see the kind of events that were run last year on the Facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/DuQuiz?ref=bookmarks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

A97 wrote: »
    I'm a first year and Freshers Week began today. I'd love to join a load of the societies but my course is practically full time and I don't think that I'll have enough time to take advantage of many of them. I'm wondering which of them have lots of events and would be worth joining. I signed up to the Phil and the Hist today as well as a few others but I'm wondering from your own experience, which societies would be best for someone to join who will be busy 9 to 5 or 6 each day. Which ones have lots of events and don't require consistent attendance?

Also, what are the best events to go to during the week? I know that both of these questions go down to personal preference but which ones did you find most enjoyable or wouldn't have liked to miss? Thanks all.:)

I'm not trying to be smart. But nearly everyone has lectures between 9 & 7(I had 2 6pm tutorials last year). Most societies have events during the evening or weekends away.

The Phil usually has events late on a Thursday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭A97

amymak wrote: »
    Quiz Soc would be a good option for you, since events are run biweekly at 7pm in the evening, so the society would suit your schedule and be worth the €2 membership.
    Also, since it's just quizzes, there's no continuity, you can just go to any events that appeal to you.
    You can see the kind of events that were run last year on the Facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/DuQuiz?ref=bookmarks
    I was thinking about that. There will probably be at least a couple of quizzes a year worth going to so it would be worth my while. And it's easy enough to pick and choose particular ones.:)
    newacc2015 wrote: »
    I'm not trying to be smart. But nearly everyone has lectures between 9 & 7(I had 2 6pm tutorials last year). Most societies have events during the evening or weekends away.

The Phil usually has events late on a Thursday evening.
    That's fair enough. I'm just really bad at time management.:p I just think that I'll be swamped by the workload, even outside of class time. Having said that, I'll have to see how I settle in. I sort of doubt that I'll be able to get up to much during the day. That's all.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,165 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Most societies' activities will be organised for evenings, and some at lunchtime. This is especially true of the larger societies. For obvious reasons, they won't schedule activities that will clash with lectures, etc.

Join as many as you like, and dip your two in the waters of a few of them. Generally none of them make any great demand for time commitment unless you become really involved and start getting on committees, etc.

Advertisement