Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Going Clear" - Scientology Documentary

Options
  • 21-09-2015 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭

Just starting on Sky Atlantic +1 now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭kal7

Well done to the brave guys who left scientology and speak out about it. The harrassment of them the IRS is unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭innuendo141

Watched this last night. I can't help but feel that Scientology isn't so much a cult as it is an illness...

Reading the book it was based on now. Fascinating how people cant let themselves be taken in by all this madness. It's absolute lunacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭SouthernBelle

Watched this last night. I can't help but feel that Scientology isn't so much a cult as it is an illness...

Reading the book it was based on now. Fascinating how people cant let themselves be taken in by all this madness. It's absolute lunacy.

I believe that L Ron Hubbard (affectionately referred to as LRH by Tom Cruise) was completely bonkers. When he died he didn't have a successor and David Miscavige seems to have appointed himself the new leader - that's what I got from the film anyway. I think DM could see he was on to a nice little earner. I don't think he's a lunatic - I think he's evil.

Tom C and John Travolta definitely seem to have drunk the Koolaid and I think even if they wanted to they couldn't leave because the Church has too much info on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

The book is great. It does a really good job of explaining how people are lured in and then held in a prison like existence, afraid to even think the wrong things because they'll be found out through interrogation/auditing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

When he died he didn't have a successor and David Miscavige seems to have appointed himself the new leader - that's what I got from the film anyway. I think DM could see he was on to a nice little earner. I don't think he's a lunatic - I think he's evil.

Miscavige is certainly a sociopath but he's not just in it for the cash. He genuinely believes all the crap that Hubbard came up with.

He's terrified of children because he's convinced that suppressive body thetans attach themselves to newborns everyday. Hubbard thought this and for this reason forbid women in the sea org to have children and forced many to have abortions. This is where all the silent birth stuff came from too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,737 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I could say the same about Catholicism but most people would roll their eyes if I did.

I knew absolutely nothing of this Miscavige guy until last night. L. Ron just seemed like a mad lad who got away with loads, but Miscavige comes across as a very dangerous man indeed. From bits and bobs I have read today, Miscavige was very high up at the time of LRH's death and no one opposed to the idea of him bringing things forward.

lertsnim wrote: »
    I could say the same about Catholicism but most people would roll their eyes if I did.

That's fair enough but Catholics don't force people to sever ties with their families in this day and age.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

lertsnim wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

joking, great documentary, as mentioned, the only reason i can see travolta still being a member is the amount of stuff they have on him, mostly being gay i would imagine.

tom cruise seems like a cool dude, its sad hes been brainwashed with this ****e

I knew absolutely nothing of this Miscavige guy until last night. L. Ron just seemed like a mad lad who got away with loads, but Miscavige comes across as a very dangerous man indeed. From bits and bobs I have read today, Miscavige was very high up at the time of LRH's death and no one opposed to the idea of him bringing things forward.

I agree.

Miscavige was best man when Cruise married Katie Holmes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,737 ✭✭✭lertsnim

That's fair enough but Catholics don't force people to sever ties with their families in this day and age.

That's true but what they believe is equally as crazy as what Scientologists believe but that discussion is for a different thread.

copeyhagen wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

joking, great documentary, as mentioned, the only reason i can see travolta still being a member is the amount of stuff they have on him, mostly being gay i would imagine.

tom cruise seems like a cool dude, its sad hes been brainwashed with this ****e

Thats the thing, dont they consider homosexuality to be very wrong? If true it just goes to show how hypocritical they are, casting aside one belief to keep the green rolling in!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Thats the thing, dont they consider homosexuality to be very wrong?
    IIRC they used to claim they could "cure" homosexuality(along with other "illnesses"). Maybe back in less enlightened days a few of the famous ones got attached to this crowd to be "cured" and after they had spilled their guts about their sexual preferences they were on the hook. Quite a bit of arranged marriage stuff going on within the cult too. Some might suggest ready made beards... No names an all that…

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭PressRun

I think a lot of the celebrities involved are in it for the tax breaks.

As for the others, the Miscavige character just found the perfect place to feed his ego. He's a narcissist through and through.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,363 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I agree.

Miscavige was best man when Cruise married Katie Holmes.

Much more than that. It was Miscavige who picked katie holmes to be Toms wife.

I'd love if Katie did a "tell all".

• Registered Users Posts: 40,363 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I'd love if Katie did a "tell all".

Not a hope. Her silence has been well bought.

Oh I have no doubt about that! :-)

She has a child to think of an all- and that shower are capable of anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

Just watched it, absolutely mental, what makes a guy like David Miscaviage tick though ?

Does he really believe in all this ? is it just a means to make insane amounts of money ?

And shame on Tom Cruise, the guy is worth 100's of millions and yet will have people on 40c an hour deck out his cars
    and home cinema system.

• Advertisement
Advertisement