Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Photographer Profile] #29 Balfey1972

Options
  • 21-09-2015 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭

The idea of these threads is to give some insight as to how some of your fellow photographers operate. Each person invited will write about their photography and provide some examples. This thread will be sticky for about a fortnight (longer if needed) During this time feel free to comment and ask questions. Please allow the subject to answer questions and do not do so on their behalf. While this process is taking place, the subject will approach the next person to be highlighted. Please keep this secret and do not prompt. All normal site and forum rules apply.

For those of you that don’t know me, my name is Derek Balfe. Thanks to Adrian who took over the mantle of the last Photographer profile as I was heading on holidays and had no time to get anything done. He is a cracking photographer whom I’ve got to know well through our camera group over the last few years.

I live in Rush and have been involved in photography just over 7 years since I got my first camera a Canon 400D with kit lens for Christmas. I think I was on Auto mode for a couple of years. Sports was my main interest being involved with my local GAA club.

A huge part of my photography learning and thanks is to Leo Bissett who got me into the photography. I soon upgraded and got a 70-300 Canon lens mainly for sports and that extra reach.

This was one of the first photos up on my Flickr account. Kite surfers on the South beach in Rush.

2715138502_46569696a1_z.jpg

GAA is the one sport I love taking photos of. Hurling especially.
    The is one of my first GAA shots and I still love the expressions of our lads on the sideline.

2736625676_72b547871f_z.jpg

Gotta love Hurling for the action shots too. Again one of my first outings shooting the sliothar.

2736640362_6d7b189636_z.jpg

My own passion for landscapes and particularly seascapes was not known until I join the Rush Library Camera Group.

With Leo we decided to form a camera group in Rush in 2010 with the intention of getting out and taking some photos and learning from each other.

Whilst it is a small group in numbers I learned so much from the people here. This is where I found my passion for Landscapes and particular seascapes.

I just used Picasa for my photo editing and then I was introduced to Lightroom by Paul Walsh. I spent a few days frustrated with Lightroom 3 until Paul gave me a tutorial one evening and ever since we have been shooting raw and editing in Lightroom. It is a fantastic piece of software.

One from one of the first outings and when I got infected with the overkill of HDR and Photomatix Pro. I was in rehab for about 12 months trying to be wined off it by others in the group who were gentle in saying maybe you are pushing it a little but. In my eyes it was stunning. I have left them on flickr as a reminder not to slip back.

5195238628_35403e07ac_z.jpg

It can work well in a few cases. This was one of my shots I got payment for and published in a Travel Magazine.

6225829682_f615bf8ee3_z.jpg

Having grown up living beside the south beach in Rush my passion for seascapes keeps coming back and that is the side of photography I really love and enjoy.

Most weekends we travel somewhere in the country for shots. Day trips to Donegal and Fanad not being an unusual or out of the ordinary trip but then again to others including my understanding wife I’m mad. Up at all hours for sunrises and traveling to places around the country for photos.

15489827912_10232b6c38_c.jpg

19205797820_3e207778b0_c.jpg

16894539268_e79792c269_c.jpg

Whilst always drawn to landscape I do enjoy the other sides of photography also but I'm always drawn back to landscapes and seascapes.

20985725876_e22d97a2a6_c.jpg

Over the hill to Loughshinny and The madness of the road racing. amazing what these guys do and their love of it. If you haven’t seen it and are interested in the bikes check out a great documentary on the Dunlop’s called Road which is narrated by Liam Neeson. Powerful Stuff.

4760555466_5e65dbd200_z.jpg

In 2013 I was introduced to camera filters and this fueled the Seascape passion even more. Within the camera group there was always 2 or 3 of us every weekend heading somewhere in the country to take shots.

Accu weather, tides, Photographers Ephermis and Ordinance Survey maps of every part of the country to hand in helping us decide where we are off to.

19476560146_d2f93fec90_c.jpg

19302276932_18611b7fe1_c.jpg

16795329820_be8336a228_c.jpg

On Paddy's Day this year having been out with Paul Walsh taking photos of a couple of the parades I was on the way home and the Camera Group's what's app group was chatting about possible Northern Lights. So home and passport stamped by the other half that it was OK to go, myself and Val headed North despite a few trips that had come to nothing in the previous couple of months.

We got to witness one of the best displays on the north coast for a long time. We ended up in Ballintoy along with a few hundred other togs.

You could see it with the naked eye and it is some sight to witness. Worth the trip and return home at 4.30am and up for work at 7.00

16824631186_f40d7648cb_c.jpg

16658767577_2590948b36_c.jpg

My favorite part of the country has to be along the North Coast. I just love it up there. I have come to know alot of you guys here over the years with looking after your Insurance and it was great to have met a number of you at the recent Boards Book launch.

So that is me. My post is limited to 15 images I could post alot more. Flickr is where I post to most regular. Thanks for taking the time to read.

Derek.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 3,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Myksyk

Great stuff Derek. Inspirational really.

Btw ... hands up ... I still like well executed HDR for urban/cityscape photography!!

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Balfey1972

Myksyk wrote: »
    Great stuff Derek. Inspirational really.

Btw ... hands up ... I still like well executed HDR for urban/cityscape photography!!

Thanks Myksyk, Ahh I still dabble with the HDR myself and some blending from time to time. Agree that done right it can look good. Great for some portrait backgrounds too. I just went to the very dark side for a while :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22 paric

Hi Derek great bio,just wondering where that pic of path out to island is, it looks fantastic?

paric wrote: »
    Hi Derek great bio,just wondering where that pic of path out to island is, it looks fantastic?

Cheers Paric. It is Pine Island, Derryclare Lough in Connemara.

Street View Location here - https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.4623355,-9.7959145,3a,75y,6.29h,86.46t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sjee8QICU-W5Jt5KUqr6hUQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Jeasus I cant wait for the book..........

My favourite shot is defo the one with the lads on the sideline. I smile every time I see it in Maurs.

I think the time you give to helping other is a big part of what you do and your determination to nail a shot and while I am still stuck tying laces and "encouraging" referees to give us something your photography has gone to a different level. The moody seascapes are great.

Class stuff Derek

• Advertisement

LeoB wrote: »
    Jeasus I cant wait for the book..........

My favourite shot is defo the one with the lads on the sideline. I smile every time I see it in Maurs.

I think the time you give to helping other is a big part of what you do and your determination to nail a shot and while I am still stuck tying laces and "encouraging" referees to give us something your photography has gone to a different level. The moody seascapes are great.

Class stuff Derek

Cheers Leo, I'll get a signed copy over to you :). Doing a chapter on how the hell am I getting dust (ash) into my camera??? Do you ever wonder where it might be from?

I think this one was from the first time I went out with you to take a landscape shot. 7 years ago !!!

2732619497_8e69f695fe_z.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭steoc

A nice insight to you and your work Derek.
    Love your images.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Watsy

Cracking images, thoroughly enjoyed reading your post. Inspirational work, loved the shot of the sheep beside the tree with the break in the clouds above them.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭OllieNorth

Very nice pictures. im just dipping my toe in the water at the momentand would like to come close someday. What kind of equipment are you using? keep up the good work.:)

OllieNorth wrote: »
    Very nice pictures. im just dipping my toe in the water at the momentand would like to come close someday. What kind of equipment are you using? keep up the good work.:)

Only tip I'd give you is stop dipping the toe and wade in. Best thing I did was join a local camera club and meet people with a similar interest in photography. That without doubt was the best thing I did to improve my photography.

I started off with a Canon 400d then on to a 40d then a 7d and now use a 6d. My favourite go to lens is my 16-35mm.

The other thing is you never stop improving. I'm always looking for more ways to improve and looking at other photographers work.
    Watsy wrote: »
    Cracking images, thoroughly enjoyed reading your post. Inspirational work, loved the shot of the sheep beside the tree with the break in the clouds above them.
    steoc wrote: »
    A nice insight to you and your work Derek.
    Love your images.

Thanks for the comments Watsy & Steoc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Great read, Derek and good advise. Absolutely love your landscapes! :D

Great read, Derek and good advise. Absolutely love your landscapes! :D

Thanks very much ML.

Advertisement