Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amateur tips

Options
  • 21-09-2015 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭

Hi. I need to get one nice, clear, bright photograph of my son for some invitations I'm printing. I have the world of cute pics of him, but nothing professional looking. He's a baby, so doesn't pose :)

So I'm looking for tips on what makes a good photo. Also ideas on how to create a neutral background in a home and where to position him with regards to light etc.

I have a DSL camera but I know I dont use it to its full potential and it's quite old now. I also have my iPhone. Other than that I have no photography equipment like a stand or lights.

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

You can use bedsheets for a clean background.

Use a large window for nice natural light.

Use your camera in aperture priority, and play around with different aperture settings. Start off with an open aperture f/3.5, f/4, then move up.

Mostly - trial and error. Take lots of photos and vary the settings until you get something you like.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 3,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Myksyk

Fill your frame with your son. Try a head shot, try a shoulders/head shot filling the frame (even cutting off the top of the head is ok!) ... try a waist to head shot etc etc. Google images of babies to see what style you like and whether it gives you a good idea of what colours work best in terms of clothes or background.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Some simple ideas nicely illustrated here.

Advertisement