Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you think of this build?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Could drop to a Pentium depending on the games, and add a small SSD

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

You also don't need a Z97 board. Drop to a H81 something, and definitely get an SSD.

And 4gb of ram is likely enough

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Actually I'd leave the 8GB in. It's one of those things that's definitely handy to have, especially if the users are going to be using separate accounts. Means they don't have to log out, they can just switch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

What about a graphics card?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

I've just always thought the i3 would be much better than the pentium. They will likely use the pc for 10 years before looking to change.

Is the H81 board a lot cheaper? Could you recommend one?

Will look at getting an SSD for the OS.

I wasn't going to add a graphics card. I'll tell the brother that he could buy one if he needs it but the built in graphics of the i3 will do for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

That PSU is perfect. That one is the modular one, the non-modular CX430 is €5 cheaper.
    Yeah I agree, the i3 will be a lot better in the long run.
    Also, SSD's sure are fantastic, but only if you budget can fit one in. That 1tb will be perfectly fine for now. You can always add an ssd later on.

The Asus H81M-Plus is a good micro-ATX mainboard for £42 @ Amazon. (Free delivery)
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/H81M-PLUS-Motherboard-Socket-Intel-Express/dp/B00EIG2O2O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1442825265&sr=8-1&keywords=Asus+H81M-PLUS
    It has on-board graphics, 4 x SATA, USB3.0 etc.

Also, a great case for that motherboard would be the Fractal Design Core 1100. It's a quality case for the money.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fractal-Design-Core-1100-Micro/dp/B00KXXZS74/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1442823964&sr=8-1&keywords=fractal+1100
    It takes M-ATX motherboads, has USB3.0 and good expansion options. It's £30 on Amazon. (Free delivery-see Amazon link on right hand side)

I just did an exact same build with an i5 last week, and it worked out a dream. A nice quiet build too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The i3's integrated graphics will get by with Minecraft and similar titles but it's incapable of playing pretty much all modern games even at the lowest settings. Just in case he has it in his head that he's going to be playing DayZ/Call of Duty/Battlefield/GTA/etc - none of those games will run.

Even if it is just Minecraft and similar non-intensive games this is one of those situations where a comparably priced AMD cpu like the A10-7700K APU might be better than the i3 as it's integrated graphics performance is more than twice as fast.

How much would a decent, but cheap gpu cost? An recommendations for that build?

Thanks Moon54. I'll check those out.

I'm at €400 on Amazon for that build without a GPU or the OS after adding the case and dropping the motherboard to the one suggested by Moon54.

• Advertisement

A good GPU starts at €100 really, you can get weaker ones obviously but you're dropping a lot of performance for not very much money lower than that

GTX750 is an example

I might go ahead with that build and tell the brother he can buy a graphics card and I'll install it for him. It won't be needed straight away because of the inbuilt graphics but he front up for one himself as he'll be playing the games.

Advertisement