Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cranial osteopathy for reflux near Leitrim?

Options
  • 20-09-2015 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭

Hi,

2 week old daughter seems to have very bad reflux and I am thinking of trying cranial osteopathy for treatment. Son also had this very bad so would love to avoid the medication route if possible.

Has anyone tried this treatment and could you recommend anyone near Leitrim? Don't mind travelling a bit-sligo, cavan, mullingar, longFord ????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭cbb1982

newmum62 wrote: »
    Hi,

2 week old daughter seems to have very bad reflux and I am thinking of trying cranial osteopathy for treatment. Son also had this very bad so would love to avoid the medication route if possible.

Has anyone tried this treatment and could you recommend anyone near Leitrim? Don't mind travelling a bit-sligo, cavan, mullingar, longFord ????

Yes Julie Elwood based in Sligo I brought my son as midwife recommended after vacuum delivery she is v good knows her stuff and great reviews of anyone I know who attended her clinic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Please please please don't let anyone 'adjust' the skull of a newborn. Babies skulls are not fused yet, the brain is right underneath there. I know radiologists who have seen everything from stroke to brain damage from this particular insidious quackery.

Reflux is perfectly normal and will resolve itself with time. There is no treatment required in most cases. The best that will happen is that your pockets will be lighter, and the reflux will go away on its own.

https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/cranial-manipulation-and-tooth-fairy-science/

One more... This one is about a baby who died after cranial osteopathy.

http://www.casewatch.org/board/dent/kerwin/order_2012.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭newmum62

Unfortunately the reflux she has and my son is a severe for of silent reflux and certainly in my son's case didn't resolve itself. He was on medication for 15 months before we could Starr weaning him off it.

This silent reflux is not just a little bit of spit up - it results in extreme pain and intense crying for hours on end so that's why i was looking into alternatives. My gp and public health nurse both recommended it but seeing your reply is scary. Thanks for that-ill read into it

Unfortunately the reflux she has and my son is a severe for of silent reflux and certainly in my son's case didn't resolve itself. He was on medication for 15 months before we could Starr weaning him off it.

This silent reflux is not just a little bit of spit up - it results in extreme pain and intense crying for hours on end so that's why i was looking into alternatives. My gp and public health nurse both recommended it but seeing your reply is scary. Thanks for that-ill read into it

• Advertisement

They don't actually adjust the head / skull it's all about massage / joints & muscles read below , she treated my friends baby with reflux didn't cure it but gave techniques to manage, feed, wind etc

http://m.independent.ie/regionals/sligochampion/lifestyle/what-is-osteopathy-27586390.html

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

Having a baby with silent reflux, I'd go to an osteopath as well if necessary. My baby was medicated for silent reflux aged 4 weeks so when it's bad you will go to the end of the earth for something to help. Zero need for that scaremongering, pwurple.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

ChewChew wrote: »
    Having a baby with silent reflux, I'd go to an osteopath as well if necessary. My baby was medicated for silent reflux aged 4 weeks so when it's bad you will go to the end of the earth for something to help. Zero need for that scaremongering, pwurple.

It isn't scaremongering. These types of "alternative treatments" are completely unregulated and have no scientific basis whatsoever to them. No reputable doctor would tell you massage will improve reflux.

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

lazygal wrote: »
    It isn't scaremongering. These types of "alternative treatments" are completely unregulated and have no scientific basis whatsoever to them. No reputable doctor would tell you massage will improve reflux.

Throwing links of stories about dead babies at a new mum (or anyone for that matter!!) is cruel and unecessary. Get your point across, fine. But being nasty is not helpful. And some of the recommendations made by 'reputable doctors' leave a lot to be desired too. Having a reflux baby is exceptionally difficult and hard enough as it is.

Throwing links of stories about dead babies at a new mum (or anyone for that matter!!) is cruel and unecessary. Get your point across, fine. But being nasty is not helpful. And some of the recommendations made by 'reputable doctors' leave a lot to be desired too. Having a reflux baby is exceptionally difficult and hard enough as it is.

Having a baby with reflux is incredibly difficult. Taking the baby to someone who operates in an unregulated "alternative" sector isn't the answer. My own mother fell for claims about homeopathy in a different and difficult situation. It doesn't work and there's zero evidence it does any good, apart from personal anecdotes from parents who link improvements in their babies to this kind of quackery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

I'm sorry she has reflux: I hope the pain subsides for her. My second has reflux she's 18 months now and while she's med free for the last 3 months she still refluxes. I found a sling a lifesaver in the early days so I could get stuff done between the screaming fits. We didn't go for cranial osteopathy but I do sometimes wish we had... Hope your little one gets sorted :)

Sorry if you thought providing the actual information was nasty, but it can be dangerous. I know if I went ahead and did some irreparable damage to my baby, I'd be very upset if no-one had warned me about what I was risking in advance. You can make your own decisions as long as you have the facts. I'm not making this stuff up (hence the links to prove it), this has happened.

And I do know how difficult a reflux baby is, my second baby had reflux. It passed with the passage of time, but it's fairly burned into my memory alright!

The reputable doctor told me there wasn't much that could be done that would help much, apart from waiting it out... which I know is not what people want to hear, and I certainly found it very frustrating. But sometimes time is what is needed. Parents want to feel like they are doing something about it, and will pay anyone promising to do anything, which is where this kind of thing comes in. It's unregulated, mainly does nothing, except for the occasional over enthusiastic person, who is convinced what they do is real and effective (despite all evidence), and accidentally does serious damage to a baby's skull.

Reflux is very tough going. I can give you the advice which helped me. Wear the baby as much as you can in a sling. It makes them more comfortable.

It will pass, hang in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Your baby needs medication not oesteopathy. Bring them to your GP.

I've already been to gp who recommended osteopathy after great feedback from a lot of her patients before going down the medicine route

I've already been to gp who recommended osteopathy after great feedback from a lot of her patients before going down the medicine route

A gp recommended something based on purely anecdotal evidence? I'd find another Gp.

As did my Midwife & PHN and these are members of the medical profession!

cbb1982 wrote: »

My phn told me to only breastfeed my new born for 15 minutes each side and to start her on baby rice at four months. Not everything a midwife or phn says is accurate or medically recommended. My Gp is far better informed and up to date. And wouldn't recommend massage as a way of dealing with reflux. He has some dodgy stories about gps he knows, one of them is opposed to the HSE vaccine schedule and plays on the mad autism stories. That's why you need to be discerning about who you get advice from.

cbb1982 wrote: »

My local PHN advised putting egg white on an 8 week old baby's nappy rash. That baby ended up in hospital in anaphylactic shock because they had a serious egg allergy.

A midwife once recommended some homeopathic nonsense for amedicine side-effect I was having. She had no idea what was going on (as she was neither a doctor or a pharmacist), and went way above her remit in telling me my symptoms were not serious.

I'll trust a PHN to weigh my baby, gather data, and do the other pieces they are specifically trained for. But not to dispense medical advice of any kind. Even their feeding advice is inconsistent and outdated.

I wish they were told to NOT give out medical advice, but we should also have more sense than to ask for it in the first place.

And there are plenty of shoddy GP's out there too. Took me ages to find a great GP. We have to be cynical about our own healthcare.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

For the UK - http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Osteopathy/Pages/safety.aspx
    FOr Ireland - it is not regulated.

Can we have less chat about PHN's please

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭kal7

Osteopathy is currently self regulated in Ireland.

See Osteopathic council of Ireland.

www.osteopathy.ie

Osteopaths have been looking to get state regulation for last twenty years.

Government are busy finishing the regulation of 13 professions that are degree level that work in HSE. (Physio, social work, OT etc.)

Osteopaths are hoping to get added to that Act at later date, to bring us in line with the 5 EU states that state regulate osteopathy.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭ollie103

Hi all,

Sorry if I'm repeating what may have been said above but out little boy (now 21 months) had sever reflux (he was snoring at 4 months due to it!) and we went to a consultant pediatrician in Dublin. This was on the advice of our (excellent) GP. GPs are great but are limited in their knowledge - I'd strongly advise a pediatrician.

We put out little man on Losec (a medicine he took morning and evening) and then a special dairy-free feed called Neocate - worked wonders for him.

Hope it works out for you.

I's also agree with some of the view on PHN's - they mean well but their advice can be 'out of date' (if well intentioned).

• Registered Users Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

kal7 wrote: »
    Osteopathy is currently self regulated in Ireland.

See Osteopathic council of Ireland.

www.osteopathy.ie

Osteopaths have been looking to get state regulation for last twenty years.
    The main reason why the osteopaths want to be regulated is that it gives the impression of legitimacy. People would think it's approved by the HSE if it's regulated by the HSE but the NHS regulates osteopathy purely for safety reasons and not as an endorsement

According to the NHS
    Regulation aims to protect patient safety, but it doesn't mean there's scientific evidence that a treatment is effective.
    http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Osteopathy/Pages/safety.aspx

Government are busy finishing the regulation of 13 professions that are degree level that work in HSE. (Physio, social work, OT etc.)

Osteopaths are hoping to get added to that Act at later date, to bring us in line with the 5 EU states that state regulate osteopathy.
    Osteopaths should be regulated, but again, not as any endorsement or implication that they are valid, but in order to police the claims that they make. Osteopathy should be prohibited from making any health claims that are not directly supported by evidence and if they were regulated, there would be somewhere to report breaches to the regulations.

Thanks ollie103-it was losec that my first child was on and it did work wonders alright for him. I was just looking into the alternatives to medicine this time around first but I suspect we be heading down medicine route. She getting worse and more intense every day and is even not drinking her bottle this evening so she can't go on like that!

Thanks ollie103-it was losec that my first child was on and it did work wonders alright for him. I was just looking into the alternatives to medicine this time around first but I suspect we be heading down medicine route. She getting worse and more intense every day and is even not drinking her bottle this evening so she can't go on like that!

Is there a particular reason you don't want to go down the route of conventional medicine?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭yellow hen

In desperation we tried cranial osteopathy and to be honest, I felt it was a waste of time and I highly regret letting an unqualified medical professional touch my newborn. We ended up down the losec road afterwards and that made a world of difference. I completely empathise and understand why you want to try other avenues but think carefully about it, that small person is one of the most precious things you'll ever have the joy of loving.

No major reason for not wanting them on medication-think they just so young to be on medication. I know my son was well over a year before we could wean him off it but am also of the opinion if they need it, so be it! Anything to help them

• Advertisement
Advertisement