Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2012 Macbook or 2014 Mac Mini

Options
  • 20-09-2015 12:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Im stuck between the mid 2012 13" Macbook Pro and the 2014 2.6ghz Mac Mini.
    The macbook pro i want to get is used
    and the mac mini is brand new from apple.

I wanna use this for logic pro,final cut and photoshop.
    Id love to have the macbook for being portable but the mac mini for my recording studio.
    I know i can upgrade the macbook but ill have to do that later on i just want to know whats the best mac i can get now.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Passenger

Need to know more specs to make an informed decision but the portability of the MacBook Pro would be the deciding factor for many. As you said yourself, you can always upgrade the RAM and install an SSD to improve performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

I run Logic on a 2 year old mac mini and also on a 6 year old macbook pro.

The mini gives me a music making location and I have some other bits of hardware on the table and a good size screen. It's a specific music-making space just like an office.

On the other hand if you would like to be sprawled out on the bed or the sofa as well as working at a table then then the laptop format is a good choice.

I thought I would bring my laptop out with me and be tipping away at stuff in the library or a café but I can't sit for long at a table in a regular chair so I never did that. Being able to sit in a more comfortable place like the sofa or in bed was great for me to keep productive.

I'm guessing price point is the issue re: the new mini or second hand macbook. My macbook is Core 2 Duo and still does the job with some management of the projects I'm doing. You really don't want less than an i5 nowadays and I still manage with 4 gig RAM but 8 really is the way to go if you can do that.

New minis are non-upgradeable, it's a sealed unit so you'll have to spec it how you want it to be for its life with you. Check that whatever macbook you might get is upgradable if that's what you want want. Older units are openable and upgradeable re RAM and HD.

Advertisement