Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have we got here?

Options
  • 19-09-2015 11:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭

I found what looks like a pellet on a bridge wall yesterday. As you can see in the image below there are quite a number of beetle exoskeletal remains within it. It was large enough, and measured approximately 40mm. in length. If it is a pellet, I'm guessing it was regurgitated by a largish bird, maybe an Owl, Kestrel or even a Jackdaw?
    The other possibility is that it's scat. I've seen fox scat with beetle remains within it before, but the smell of fox scat is unmistakeable, and this specimen was odourless. I don't think a fox is likely to defecate on top of a metre high wall though! There are Pine Marten in the area and I'm sure insects are a staple of their diet. Mammal scat is also likely to have hair in it, so I'm still inclined to believe it's a pellet.
    Would anyone like to hazard a guess what creature expelled or excreted this?

21333986790_2d9c117483_c.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Kestrel would be my guess. My kes done similar pellets with bits of beetle and chick in it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Bonedigger

Kestrel would be my guess. My kes done similar pellets with bits of beetle and chick in it

I'm curious how the Kestrel would have beetle remains in the pellets it has regurgitated? Is the Kestrel in a large aviary where it can find these insects? When you release it, does it spend time hunting and foraging for itself? I really don't know anything about keeping Birds of Prey, so am genuinely curious.

No longer have her but she would catch beetles and worms when out flying and shed catch them on the floor of her mews aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

One of my Wildlife books shows the pellet of a Common Gull, full of beetle cases. Looks just like this.

They do fly inland a lot, and I suppose they must eat insects, as well as perching on walls.

katemarch wrote: »
    One of my Wildlife books shows the pellet of a Common Gull, full of beetle cases. Looks just like this.

They do fly inland a lot, and I suppose they must eat insects, as well as perching on walls.

I see a lot of them in Dublin mountains and in the hills above tallaght.
    Seems more food in suburbs than at sea.
    Just scavengers now

• Advertisement
Advertisement