Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Record-breaking years

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

What was record breaking for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,524 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

DOCARCH wrote: »
    What was record breaking for you?

You mean why was 2010 record-breaking for me?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

It's a very vague question OP.
    Wind speed, rainfall, sunshine, storms, drought, per region, nationally?
    Record breaking years are fairly well defined so just depends when you were born and what you remember.

sparrowcar wrote: »
    It's a very vague question OP.
    Wind speed, rainfall, sunshine, storms, drought, per region, nationally?
    Record breaking years are fairly well defined so just depends when you were born and what you remember.

All of them it refers to sparrowcar whether it is sunshine, drought, winds, rainfall, it don't matter as long as it's a record. For example, 2015 is not that much of an outstanding year for me though I had my sunniest April on record during this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,903 ✭✭✭pauldry

Cold Weather at Christmas 1995 with Ice and Snow on Road

Warmest Summer ever Ill see

Used to be 18c at night in July

it was Sunny ALL of August until 24th.

June 21st to August 24th were sunny in Dublin

Sligo had a pretty misty July but temperatures of 23 or 24c were common.

All of August was 25 to 30c or 20 to 25c

• Advertisement

2010 had so many records broken for Grange. Where do I start? :)

Sunniest January on record
    Coldest January on record
    Lowest January maximum temperature on record
    Lowest January minimum temperature on record
    Sunniest May day on record
    Warmest May day on record
    Most days in June with 20c or more (2009 had 2 less so was a close call)
    Sunniest day on record
    Wettest September day on record
    Most rainfall in an hour on record
    Sunniest October on record
    Sunniest October day on record
    Coldest November on record
    Lowest November maximum temperature on record
    Lowest November minimum temperature on record
    Coldest December on record
    Lowest maximum temperature on record
    Lowest minimum temperature on record
    Sunniest December on record
    Driest December on record
    Sunniest year on record
    Calmest year on record

I think the following years had most records-broken in Ireland at respective times:

1. 2006
    2. 1995
    3. 2010
    4. 1989
    5. 1993

You can correct me if I'm wrong

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

for me it would be

1982 - the infamous blizzard
    1985 - the best thunderstorm i'll probably ever witness in Ireland, nothing since has come anywhere near it.

1986 - Hurricane Charley
    1991 - The Beast From the East
    1995 - Hot 27-30C all summer
    2010 - November and December Blizzards from the east.

1993 was a very strange year if ya ask me.

Started off with a very stormy, wet, dull and mild January mixed with a drier but still very dull and mild February. March was rather wet, mild and very dull again. April was quite wet, mild and again very dull! May was the wettest on record in some eastern regions with some unseasonably cold days around the 13th/14th (maximums of only 5 or 6c in many parts). Relatively sunny in the east but again most places were quite dull. June was exceptionally dull, relatively mild and very wet in most places. Falls of over 100mm fell in parts of the east on the 11th including Casement Aerodrome with 109mm recorded during that 24-hour period. July was another very dull month for the 7th time in a row and continued to disappoint with cool and wet conditions. August was the first sunny month in most places since December 1992 but the west escaped with more dull conditions. Dry but very cold too. September was extremely wet in the south and east but dry in north whilst it was very cold everywhere. Dull again except in north. After quite a wet start to October up to the 9th particularly in the east, it was a dry month overall almost everywhere with little or no rain thereafter. However, the dry conditions helped temperatures to drop and it was the coldest October on record in places. Everywhere except the east had a very sunny month. November was a sunny month in the east and north but dull elsewhere. Cold and dry almost everywhere. December was like a copy of January 1993 all over again! It was very stormy, dull, wet but cold.

Overall it was an exceptionally dull year. It was the dullest year on record in places (including me) even beating 1987. August and November were the only sunny months in MOST places. No month, however, recorded all stations to have above normal sunshine which was peculiar. Even 1994 another very dull year later had October to have above normal sunshine everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,050 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

How about record breaking months?
    There were two records made at the Phoenix Park within two weeks of each other in 1945 and still stand to this day.
    April 20th 22.2c
    May 4th -5.6c

The year 1878 (using Phoenix Park again) stands out and could be described as a continental climate for that year. It was a very warm summer:
    June 15c, July 16.8c August 16.1c. November was the coldest on record at 3.2c, December was similar to 2010 with a mean temp of -0.1c and January was also very cold at 1.2c. So a very unusual year in my opinion.

• Advertisement

How about record breaking months?
    There were two records made at the Phoenix Park within two weeks of each other in 1945 and still stand to this day.
    April 20th 22.2c
    May 4th -5.6c

The year 1878 (using Phoenix Park again) stands out and could be described as a continental climate for that year. It was a very warm summer:
    June 15c, July 16.8c August 16.1c. November was the coldest on record at 3.2c, December was similar to 2010 with a mean temp of -0.1c and January was also very cold at 1.2c. So a very unusual year in my opinion.

Despite a cold August, Summer 2010 was very warm here. So what you are talking 'bout in 1878 is very similar to 2010 here. January, November and December were all my coldest on record during that year whilst June was my third warmest. July was eleventh warmest. August was the sixth coldest meanwhile. I'll put 2010 into context to give you an idea of temperature wise to see what I mean:

January -0.1c - coldest January on record
    February 1.3c - second coldest February on record
    March 3.9c - second coldest March on record
    April 8.9c - not exceptionally warm but warmer than average and 2008 which was slightly above average
    May 12.2c - extremely warm second half brought the fourth warmest May on record
    June 14.3c - third warmest June on record - no day with below average temperatures, even the wet days
    July 14.9c - not exceptionally warm, eleventh warmest on record
    August 12.9c - sixth coldest on record
    September 13.9c - second warmest September on record
    October 9.3c - cold end despite very warm days during the first half
    November 1.9c - coldest November on record
    December -2.2c - coldest December on record and equals with February 1986 as coldest month on record

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭FWVT

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Despite a cold August, Summer 2010 was very warm here. So what you are talking 'bout in 1878 is very similar to 2010 here. January, November and December were all my coldest on record during that year whilst June was my third warmest. July was eleventh warmest. August was the sixth coldest meanwhile. I'll put 2010 into context to give you an idea of temperature wise to see what I mean:

January -0.1c - coldest January on record
    February 1.3c - second coldest February on record
    March 3.9c - second coldest March on record
    April 8.9c - not exceptionally warm but warmer than average and 2008 which was slightly above average
    May 12.2c - extremely warm second half brought the fourth warmest May on record
    June 14.3c - third warmest June on record - no day with below average temperatures, even the wet days
    July 14.9c - not exceptionally warm, eleventh warmest on record
    August 12.9c - sixth coldest on record
    September 13.9c - second warmest September on record
    October 9.3c - cold end despite very warm days during the first half
    November 1.9c - coldest November on record
    December -2.2c - coldest December on record and equals with February 1986 as coldest month on record

Elmer is correct, December 1878 was still bloody cold too.

FWVT wrote: »
    December 1878 was still bloody cold too.

My records only go back to 1986.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

December 1878 was still bloody cold too.

Remember it like it was only yesterday... :pac::p

My records only go back to 1986.

Are these records available online anywhere?

Are these records available online anywhere?

My website in the signature

My website in the signature

I'm on the mobile so can't see your sig. Could you post a link please?

I'm on the mobile so can't see your sig. Could you post a link please?

http://grangeweatherrecords.weebly.com/

Advertisement