Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What about POP Punk?

Options
  • 19-09-2015 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭

So what pop punk bands is everyone into? That's what I would probably listen to mostly, a mix of that and ska.

Although I'm into more catchy/melodic stuff than the likes of The Story So Far and Transit.... Teen Idols, The Copyrights, Subb, New Found Glory (last two albums), etc.

Any particular preferences from anyone else? :)

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

heh, I remember seeing Teen Idols in Dublin once. They weren't bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Toy Dolls are a very firm favourite of mine. Seen them in London in the 90's, brilliant gig!

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Viva La Gloria

dregin wrote: »
    heh, I remember seeing Teen Idols in Dublin once. They weren't bad.

Supporting LTJ in 2003, right?

Will check out Toy Dolls! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

I absolutely LOVE Screeching Weasel, although never would have considered them pop punk...just 'punk' I guess. Although come to think of it, She's Giving Me the Creeps is my favourite song and that is catchy as hell!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Big fan... tried putting a band together here over the years. There aren't a lot of people into it so finding musicians is tough! I'll get it together at some stage.
    Of current bands my favourite is probably The Manges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

I absolutely LOVE Screeching Weasel, although never would have considered them pop punk...just 'punk' I guess. Although come to think of it, She's Giving Me the Creeps is my favourite song and that is catchy as hell!

It depends really. Some of it would be punk rock... others more-so pop punk. Same with The Queers... some really poppy stuff (love that!) and some that is just pure unadulterated punk.

Dord wrote: »
    It depends really. Some of it would be punk rock... others more-so pop punk. Same with The Queers... some really poppy stuff (love that!) and some that is just pure unadulterated punk.

Was going to post up the queers,but didn't for that reason,great band too! The lillingtons have a lot of good stuff if your into pop punk I think members went on to form teenage bottle rocket.

Guttermouth go from one extreme to the other too

Yeah, Teenage Bottlerocket are another band I think are pretty good!

Riverdales are great too, especially their last album Tarantula. So good!

There's a lot of punk bands out there that stray into pop punk on different albums and songs,no fun at all,the invalids I'd even say the vandals had a few pop punk tunes.

• Advertisement

Do No Use For A Name count? Loved em. Half of Fat Wreck is pop punk in my eyes...

but like, this is the thing... what IS pop punk? Because as far as I know, it's defined by bands like The Story So Far, Such Gold, Transit, The Wonder Years, Man Overboard, etc. And people always refer to lyrics - but what about the actual music? In my mind, pop punk would be predominantly defined by the melodic composition of the songs and their quick and snappy nature. Lyrical aspect related to boring lives in crappy home towns and bad relationships are a no brainer, but other than that, in terms of musical composition, The Story So Far don't sound like that to me, and I really don't get the appeal there at all.

/unpopular opinion.

but like, this is the thing... what IS pop punk? Because as far as I know, it's defined by bands like The Story So Far, Such Gold, Transit, The Wonder Years, Man Overboard, etc. And people always refer to lyrics - but what about the actual music? In my mind, pop punk would be predominantly defined by the melodic composition of the songs and their quick and snappy nature. Lyrical aspect related to boring lives in crappy home towns and bad relationships are a no brainer, but other than that, in terms of musical composition, The Story So Far don't sound like that to me, and I really don't get the appeal there at all.

/unpopular opinion.

I always kinda based it off the Ramones sound or that surf rock sound the queers adopt from time to time.very upbeat in tempo with a melody.

I always kinda based it off the Ramones sound or that surf rock sound the queers adopt from time to time.very upbeat in tempo with a melody.

Ok, so I'm not totally crazy! :pac:

Ok, so I'm not totally crazy! :pac:

Well that's my benchmark for it :pac: ...with slight variations,that american suburban teenager sound,millencolin and the likes

Well that's my benchmark for it :pac: ...with slight variations,that american suburban teenager sound,millencolin and the likes

Yeah, I suppose it's different too depending on where you're from.

It's just such a shame that it isn't really a big thing over here. Even punk rock bands who used to play the Ambassador in the 00s are now playing the likes of The Academy...that whole punk scene is just not as popular as it used to be. :(

Yeah, I suppose it's different too depending on where you're from.

It's just such a shame that it isn't really a big thing over here. Even punk rock bands who used to play the Ambassador in the 00s are now playing the likes of The Academy...that whole punk scene is just not as popular as it used to be. :(

I'd say it's still very popular in the states were most of it originates,it was in Canada when I lived there,even radio stations dedicated to it.I'm actually a bit surprised about it here,I see plenty of young folks around were I live sporting the band t-shirts.you don't see many of the old style punks around the city these days either.

I'd say it's still very popular in the states were most of it originates,it was in Canada when I lived there,even radio stations dedicated to it.I'm actually a bit surprised about it here,I see plenty of young folks around were I live sporting the band t-shirts.you don't see many of the old style punks around the city these days either.

Where do you live?? I want to know of these people! :pac:

When my friend and I went to New Found Glory in November, we were like: "Where are all these people hiding out when gigs aren't on??" I go into town all the time and I rarely see people wearing band shirts. Do the cool punks and skater kids even hang out at Central Bank anymore? :P

the day I see someone in Dublin wearing a Copyrights shirt will be the day I get arrested for accosting a person in public.

Where do you live?? I want to know of these people! :pac:

When my friend and I went to New Found Glory in November, we were like: "Where are all these people hiding out when gigs aren't on??" I go into town all the time and I rarely see people wearing band shirts. Do the cool punks and skater kids even hang out at Central Bank anymore? :P

the day I see someone in Dublin wearing a Copyrights shirt will be the day I get arrested for accosting a person in public.

North county dublin,I've done my time around the central bank :) I drop my niece into some of the gigs and there always seems to be plenty at them.

Yeah but I'm talking just general day to day in town. I rarely see band shirts...and if I do, it's my reflection in a shop window!

• Advertisement

Yeah but I'm talking just general day to day in town. I rarely see band shirts...and if I do, it's my reflection in a shop window!

Ah I think it's just one of those music scenes with fans spread out all over the place,I think the likes of American pie and those films with a pop punk soundtrack helped make it popular for a while.

...It really was a great soundtrack

...It really was a great soundtrack

Yeah it was catchy,the songs even Made it to daytime radio here,I'd reckon from that soundtrack a lot of bands were formed,the jack ass movies soundtracks brought punk to a whole new audience too.

Tony Hawk Soundtrack, tbh.

dregin wrote: »
    Tony Hawk Soundtrack, tbh.

Very true,just look at you tube comments under some of the videos and you'll see "Tony hawks brought me here"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

Pop punk CDs are impossible to get in Ireland. There's a better selection of psychedelic bands from the 1960s in the music shops than pop punk releases from the last decade.

fiachr_a wrote: »
    Pop punk CDs are impossible to get in Ireland. There's a better selection of psychedelic bands from the 1960s in the music shops than pop punk releases from the last decade.

Did you try freebird records? I think comet records has been closed a few years they probably would have been your best bet

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

Yes I did, and Tower and HMV. American/Canadian pop punk bands since 2000 who've released 5+ albums are unavailable here for some reason.

That Flagpole Sitta song by Harvey Danger was my absolute FAVOURITE from the American Pie soundtrack.

And The Ernies 'Here and Now' and Goldfinger's 'Superman' made me fall in love with Tony Hawk's 1 when I was 13. Such a good soundtrack - THPS 4 was pretty good as well.
    fiachr_a wrote: »
    Yes I did, and Tower and HMV. American/Canadian pop punk bands since 2000 who've released 5+ albums are unavailable here for some reason.

I bought Less Than Jake's latest album on vinyl in Tower there a few months back, simply because I got so excited that they even had it there in the first place. The punk section has not only been moved, but is also getting smaller! :(

On a side note, Roger from LTJ just released a new album with his side project Rehasher, and it's pretty pop punk sounding [melodically]. It's SO good.

• Advertisement
Advertisement