Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed!

Options
  • 19-09-2015 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone had would have any information about how to generate funding for art projects, such as grants or local sponsorship? Or has anyone held an exhibition of their artwork?
    I have recently been asked to do my first solo photography exhibition which I am very excited about but I am not entirely sure I can actually afford to produce the work.
    Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Who's offering to put on your exhibition?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 alalan

@effects it's wasn't a specific person, it's was a local gallery that contacted me and offered me opportunity to put on a show.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Have the gallery not discussed it with you?
    You can always hang your prints in a way that won't cost you a fortune. You don't need to frame them for instance, saving on that cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 alalan

No I haven't had the chance to discuss it yet, it will be later in the week before I get the opportunity to speak to them about it. How does it usually go down? Do I just produce the images and expect buyers to frame it themselves?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

It all depends on the negotiations.

Most people I have heard of are asked to supply the framed prints ready for sale. Sometimes the prints are just presented mounted on a window matte.

There can be a charge to host the exhibition along with a commission on sales.

If the boards are of a standard size then they can be presented in frames the gallery may have. eg. The gallery at Dublin Camera Club has frames which hold 16"x20" Mattes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement