Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MCU membership discussion thread

Options
  • 18-09-2015 4:37pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭

How do you be a member of the MCU?

The LCU is club-based - so clubs join, and send reps to the AGM. It'd make no sense to compare attendances there, for example.

Is the MCU member-based?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

cdeb wrote: »
    How do you be a member of the MCU?

The LCU is club-based - so clubs join, and send reps to the AGM. It'd make no sense to compare attendances there, for example.

Is the MCU member-based?

The MCU is member based and would be a subset of the ICU members.
    2. MEMBERSHIP

2.1 Membership of the MCU shall consist of individual membership and affiliated membership, as respectively defined in Clauses 2.2 and 2.3 below.

2.2 Individual membership of the MCU shall consist of all those Chess players within the Munster Region who fulfill the following conditions:- that they support the objects of the MCU; and that they are members in good standing of the ICU; and that they are members in good standing of one of the Chess Clubs affiliated to the MCU in accordance with Clause 2.3 below.

2.3 Affiliated membership of the MCU shall be open to all those Chess Clubs in Munster who fulfill the following conditions:- that they support the objects of the MCU; and that they pay the annual membership subscription of the MCU; and that they abide by the rules of the MCU.

2.4 For the purposes of this Constitution “Chess Club” shall be defined as any group of chess players within Munster who join together under a common name as a club for the purpose of playing and promoting chess, and any such Club shall automatically become a member of the MCU on written notification to the Secretary thereof of such Club’s formation, subject in all cases to the Club and its members complying with the requirements of this Constitution

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

So once you're an ICU member and based in Munster, you're a member automatically?

If you're Munster-born, are you a member?

Just curious really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

So once you're an ICU member and based in Munster, you're a member automatically?

If you're Munster-born, are you a member?

Just curious really.

Nope, unless you are a member of an affiliated club in munster and support the objectives of the MCU.

To note, John Alfred doesn't support the objectives of the MCU so isn't a member. So even though he is a member of the ICU and is a member of an affiliated club to the MCU and lives in Munster he isn't a member.

Oh. That's weird. What about Munster players not with a club? And how do you decide who supports the mcu's objectives? I can picture some short agm debates -

"All in favour, say aye"
    "Aye"
    "Everyone else is hereby expelled from the mcu. Motion carried. Next item"

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭rob51

Oh. That's weird. What about Munster players not with a club? And how do you decide who supports the mcu's objectives? I can picture some short agm debates -

"All in favour, say aye"
    "Aye"
    "Everyone else is hereby expelled from the mcu. Motion carried. Next item"
    Since the MCU mainly runs the Munster leagues it really only affects club members. Since the clubs are also the ones who pay the fees I think they are the primary members.
    It has happened in one case that a member was suspended but that is exceptional.
    The Munster Championship is generally open to all ICU members resident in Munster and players who originally come from Munster. Brian Kelly would be an interesting case since he certainly grew up in Munster.
    But I think we're drifting off topic here.

• Advertisement

rob51 wrote: »
    But I think we're drifting off topic here.
    Indeed; split.

I had imagined the Munster Chess Championships would come under the auspices of the MCU - and so those not in a club would have a benefit in joining the MCU.

Anyways, thanks for the info!

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭rob51

Indeed; split.

I had imagined the Munster Chess Championships would come under the auspices of the MCU - and so those not in a club would have a benefit in joining the MCU.

Anyways, thanks for the info!

Yes the Munster Championship is run by the MCU but in this case it's open to all ICU members born in or resident in Munster.

Advertisement