Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to say 'Yes, indeed' in Irish

Options
  • 18-09-2015 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

In Scottish Gaidhlig it would be 'Tha, gu dearbh' Could I get the Irish version, please. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭eezipc

I don't think there would be the same translation but we would always have said "Ta go maith" back in Mayo which is similar to what you are looking for.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Technically, "tá" only means "It is" rather than "yes".

Most answers use the positive form of the verb (in the correct tense) to say " yes".

"Cinnte, dearfach" would be a nice enough phrase for it that doesn't use a verb.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

gan dabht

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Ealasaid

It would be the same in Gaidhlig, An File, what I have written is lazy Gaidhlig really :D

The person to whom I want to write the reply is from Kerry, would there be any specific form from there - eezipc has given me a Mayo version.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Ealasaid wrote: »
    It would be the same in Gaidhlig, An File, what I have written is lazy Gaidhlig really :D.

That's a language I'd love to get to know better! There are some beautiful songs on-line and some of the words are very familiar from Irish. Sorry, off-topic I know! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Would have said...Tá, go deimhin or Sea, go deimhin

I'd just say gan dabht

An File wrote: »
    That's a language I'd love to get to know better! There are some beautiful songs on-line and some of the words are very familiar from Irish. Sorry, off-topic I know! :)

Yes An File, quite a lot of similar words. I would like to get to know Irish better too! :)

Moran taing a huile duine! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

Tá agus é!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Why do some people I hear (including my teacher) use "s ea" to translate YES in Irish when you actually repeat the verb in a positive way? Like I thought there was no translation for no or yes in Irish?

• Advertisement

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Why do some people I hear (including my teacher) use "s ea" to translate YES in Irish when you actually repeat the verb in a positive way? Like I thought there was no translation for no or yes in Irish?

If the question involves an chopail (the copula) then "is ea" and "ní h-ea" are the answers in the present tense (the questions being "An ea?" and "Nach ea?")

This is where you'd often hear people saying " 'sea ".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Rorok

Cinnte dearfach or sin díreach

Advertisement